Coit electric reels

Started by oldmanjoe, October 02, 2023, 11:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellbelly

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on October 03, 2023, 12:27:24 AMmake that thing way more powerful.
Quite possible that the electronics were designed for operating at 1.5 volts @ "limited" amperage.  Increasing either of these properties might not give the expected results.

Joe, the individual electronic parts might be patented.  Somebody had to make them.  Also, I would bet that end of the design was a partnership(see ET-AL).  There's no way to build that reel without first knowing where to put the electronic parts.

The design patent you show helps to identify the parts.  Business documents might lead to some other design details and patents.  Find out who all the ET-AL's are and there might be some clues.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Midway Tommy on October 03, 2023, 05:26:26 PMI think maybe you will learn a little more about the reel mechanics here, Joe. Plus there are some additional links to references.  :d

https://patents.google.com/patent/US2600685A/en
Thank you Thank You  It was driving me nuts .    I was getting a 404 error or when I typed in the # , 
it gave me mechanisms for other machines .  Maybe the suffix A/en  was the ticket . 
      Back to reading ....
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Shellbelly on October 03, 2023, 05:56:31 PM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on October 03, 2023, 12:27:24 AMmake that thing way more powerful.
Quite possible that the electronics were designed for operating at 1.5 volts @ "limited" amperage.  Increasing either of these properties might not give the expected results.

Joe, the individual electronic parts might be patented.  Somebody had to make them.  Also, I would bet that end of the design was a partnership(see ET-AL).  There's no way to build that reel without first knowing where to put the electronic parts.

The design patent you show helps to identify the parts.  Business documents might lead to some other design details and patents.  Find out who all the ET-AL's are and there might be some clues.
[/quote
  If you can help me out , it would be much appreciated .    Trying to read the patent and looking at the picture .   For instance # 77,&9 ,82 .    77 is adjustable from the spool side .
   I hope some one has the operating instruction to post ..
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Shellbelly

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

JasonGotaProblem

I feel like I make this face in a lot of meetings
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oldmanjoe

I checked the coil with a meter .

I did not have a c size battery to test with , so I used a double A battery with jumper wire .    It pulled the brake pad , so now I can pull it all apart.

I got my Buck Rogers ray gun and zapped the wire to battery can to free it , so I can remove the coil . and switch.    It is fine wire and could break easily .

Tore down both reels and started cleaning up the parts

oldmanjoe

While looking for more information , I found on ebay  Fishgrain  has the box set .  I reached out to Justin and he sent me pictures of the user manual .  Thank You Justin .

foakes

Wow!

I think the right guy got these old Coits.

Thanks, Joe,

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

I am going to keep working at it .   I think I see a pattern as to why the changes made in the bail systems .

Shellbelly

Automatic click release!  Every reel in the world should have this.  I can't stand it when folks don't disengage a clicker when they reel in.  Like scratching on a chalkboard.

When you get around to the other side Joe, can you please show that assembly?

You custom guys might be able to do something with this feature.

oldmanjoe

Here it is , look at the shape of the paw .  That should help kick it out in one direction.

The pencil points to were the big ears are , holding the paw in place .  Smooth that side and it should let it kick out.

Shellbelly

That's so simple.  I had it way over-engineered in my brain....and I called it "an assembly"!!

oldmanjoe

I am still doing my home work looking for the other switch mechanism .  Going through the cited information .

I have looked at putting the two parts of the  together , but there is no room for both .   It`s one or the other .

To back up the two types of bails , the measurements don`t lie . The "thicker" material bail doesn`t  fit in the slot of the switching arm .

The slot is .025 wide and the bail tang is .035 .  It would seem simple to just widen the slot and call it good , but here is the catch the slot has a pocket in it .  You can see the walls on the end of the slot.

I can go into hack fabrication , but I will hold off .  Again it looks easy to solved by filing the bail tang and fitting it to the switch  . The other foreseeable problem doing that is the add weight of the thicker bail .   Problem being is the spring part of the switch . I don`t think it is strong enough. 
    The part of the switch that I am pointing to with the pencil is considered the spring to lift the bail up according to the patent description .  It is supposed to push the lever witch in turns lift the bail up . I see were this was a problem and made it very finicky .   That is a lot of cantilever on that spring .

I am waiting for more information to arise for now !!!

oldmanjoe

I keep looking at this plate , trying to figure it out .   So I put the coil on the plate and energized it .

The armature plate did not move , even with the spool in place .  I also though that it may have been installed wrong , but it is made to be in that location

The differences between the armature plates are the tang in the center hole and the pin hole in the plate .

oldmanjoe

I went ahead and modified the switch to fit the bigger bail .  It took a little while to get the spring/ electrical contact to work .  Finally got the balance of switch on and off and spring action for the bail to work properly.   
  When it is working right , you can hear the clicking of the brake /armature .

I did some testing !!!  This is not reel you want a birds nest with if you have fat fingers .
There is no room to pull the loops and hooks , too many bars to work around .

But it does work . I used a 2 ounce sinker instead of the 4 ounce as per instructions .  That kept the spool speed down , smaller nest....

Fumbled with the phone , but the two results are in video