I'm seized up my second Abu baitcast reel and now I think I know why.

Started by pointbob, October 07, 2023, 10:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointbob

Quote from: steelfish on October 09, 2023, 08:22:15 PM
Quote from: pointbob on October 07, 2023, 10:34:42 PMIn fact I was using an after mkt power handle so likely even more torque.

can you post a picture of your aftermarket handle ?

I normally use the stock "power handle" from abu in all my 6500 reels but maybe yours add more torque

incredibly comfortable handle though

Patience comes to those who wait

jurelometer

Quote from: pointbob on October 09, 2023, 08:38:29 PM
Quote from: boon on October 09, 2023, 08:05:51 PMA 110mm handle on a reel built like these is begging for trouble. I'd say the post is bent.

yup. you are correct; I have so discovered....maybe stick to 100mm max (the oem is 90mm i believe) - but i think the driveshaft (brass) is the weak spot...the post is steel and between the two I think the brass bent.

Mechanically speaking, It is pretty hard to bend the sleeve (drive shaft) without bending the underlying post.

Plus,  any radial load is distributed along the  full length of the driveshaft unless the fit was terribly sloppy. But the levering  force is not applied, so this is where the force is concentrated  at any point along the shaft.  The point of leverage is around the area where the post joins the bridge.  This is where I would look.

Agree with Boon.  Probably a fried bridge or post, or some combo. If we are right, replacing the driveshaft won't fix the problem.

I beat an older 6500c pretty mercilessly on inshore tropicals, roosterfish,  small tuna, even a sailfish.  Not really recommended,  but it still works, albeit a bit grindy. By using the stock paddle handles, I didn't blow it up when winding. The winding motion is different with those little double paddle handles.  You are much less likely to lever hard on the post.

-J

pointbob

Thank you; makes perfect sense. It's just amazing that the driveshaft refuses to budge or be removed. I'll replace the brake plate and dremel off the post to get back the driveshaft then...

JasonGotaProblem

You can put in a bridge etc from an older abu. In fact when you do that you can get the double anti reverse.

I might have a spare or two lying around.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

pointbob

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on October 10, 2023, 12:29:24 AMYou can put in a bridge etc from an older abu. In fact when you do that you can get the double anti reverse.

sorry; but what is a "bridge" - i'm still learning the reels...

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: pointbob on October 10, 2023, 01:55:32 AM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on October 10, 2023, 12:29:24 AMYou can put in a bridge etc from an older abu. In fact when you do that you can get the double anti reverse.

Sorry on an abu I guess it's called the brake plate. The thing with the post.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

pointbob

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on October 10, 2023, 01:56:38 AM
Quote from: pointbob on October 10, 2023, 01:55:32 AM

Sorry on an abu I guess it's called the brake plate. The thing with the post.

lol...of course...sorry i was space cadet. thanks.