Pfluger 1193 L

Started by ourford, October 31, 2023, 10:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ourford

Has anyone cleaned one of these up before? Any tips?
Vic

thrasher

I just cleaned the one I had siting in a Rubbermaid for years. Pretty straight forward and simple guts. I thought the cast control was an interesting design and was shocked at how smooth the reel was after a cleaning and lube job.

Shellbelly

The cosmetics are tedious.  There's probably a method per member and all will succeed.  It's just that this reel has literally hundreds of little places that hold grunge.  Get some round or square toothpicks.  You'll need magnification of some kind and good lighting.

Soak in a diluted, non caustic, dish detergent.  Scrub with a soft brush and rinse with hot water.  Dry and start working on all those grooves.  It helps to keep the surface you're working on a little damp with some light oil applied with a cotton swab.  This helps to keep the dirt "loose".

That should get you started and I'll bet you will find a method that fits your way of handling this task.  Hard to see from here if you're going to end up with brass or the original plating.

These are really nice-looking reels.  Very tedious cosmetic restoration without an ultrasonic.   
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

ourford

Thanks guys. I was looking for cosmetic cleaning ideas and it sounds like my usual go to, Dawn Ultra, is what I'll try first.
Vic

Paul Roberts

Mineral spirits cuts grease really well.

Sonnett

I would think a sonic cleaner would be a good start. It is always fun to bring a reel back from the dead but in this case, truly clean examples can be had for $10 sometimes less at a show. Use this one for spare parts.