MODIFYING HANDLE ARM TO FIT GEAR SHAFT?

Started by LTM, June 09, 2015, 03:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Thanx Rothmar,

I read your post awhile ago and didnt think to correlate it to this handle project, so thanx again. What the heck is a center pop, do you mean a center punch to mark the spot? Definitely got to get some good jewelers files. The aluminum handle that I goofed-up is still small enough to enlarge for another project. I do believe in a harder material, however the aluminum will give me the confidence and patience to work on a harder material. Thanx to you and Adam for your detailed comments/instructions. Hope this helps others who are thinking of modifying some handles to fit.

Leo

Rothmar2

;D

Yeah, pop=punch. I have to try and remember I'm posting on an international forum, and keep the Aussie Jargon out of it. Apologies for the confusion.

Reel 224

Somewhere in here I had posted a crank arm that I had to alter to fit my reel, the arm I got from Alan Tani. I used small files that I had purchased from Brownells quite a few years ago that I used in gunsmith work. It took me about an Hour to finally get the fit that I needed but it will work. By the way the arm is SS so the files would cut that material quite well. You could also try a jewelers saw to do a rough cut and then finish with filing.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

LTM

Reel 224,

Yes, I read your post awhile ago. This is the one where you routed a slot in a piece of wood that you clamped to a table to give stability to the "straight" handle that you were modifying. I thought of this, however Im modifying an offset handle. I will use one of my PanaVise's to hold the offset for filing.

Thanx,

Leo

Reel 224

Quote from: LTM on June 14, 2015, 09:49:47 PM
Reel 224,

Yes, I read your post awhile ago. This is the one where you routed a slot in a piece of wood that you clamped to a table to give stability to the "straight" handle that you were modifying. I thought of this, however Im modifying an offset handle. I will use one of my PanaVise's to hold the offset for filing.

Thanx,

Leo

Yes Leo, I was fortunate that it was a straight arm so I cut that slot on my table saw and the arm fit nice and tight. Vice is good for what you have to do. Did you look at Brownells site for some files? Or are u good as far as files are concerned. If there is room you could use a small triangular file. 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

when I serviced this reel, I didn't have the 6/0 handle, I decided to shaped the 4/0 to fit by using a dremel and files.
The handle is nice and snug, I'm actually holing the reel up without the handle screw to show how tight it is

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

I agree with Adam about good files. If you use good files you should also have a file card and some chaulk. The card is basically a wire brush  you use to remove the "pins" or material caught in the files teeth. If you then use the chaulk it will help keep your teeth from loading up as bad. I have used endmills in a bench press. I only use them when I'm not putting a side load on them. For example I may use a center cutting end mill in a chuck the same way I use a drill bit. Drill presses aren't made for side loads and can be dangerous. Some people have gotten away with using them like a mill but I won't chance it.
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD