You know you're a Reel-Head when......

Started by Caranx, March 08, 2012, 08:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cone

Your wife didn't even notice you swapped tips and cleaned reels with the electric toothbrush because the greasy fingerprints are normal.
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Joel.B

I took the rotating assembly to 113h (Bridge, gears, yoke, sleeve, dogs...) polished every part to a hi-shine and assembled it- have it sitting on my desk.  Several times a day I find myself just sitting there spinning the gears in my hand while I think.   It is very satisfying. I love the way the complete assembly looks, the way it sounds and feels in my hand as I spin it. It seams to be therapeutic and  I swear it helps me think better. (I need all the help I can get)

Reelz

When u buy a brand new reel and take it apart. That's what I've been doing. I feel that I need to inspect it to make sure its to my standards. Sorry if its been mentioned, I didn't read all pages.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

You know you're a reel head when......ohhh shoot....here come the UPS guy gotta go ;D
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

hafnor

you know your'e a reel-head when you replace the original washers to carbontex in your bobbin knotter! :)

Irish Jigger

You are a perfectionist Thor, well made bobbin. No Cal's grease I presume.

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

hafnor

you know after you sent me that sheet justin I try to find things that I can replace with CF! haha! it has become an obsession. I should have bought ten sheets from you! :) I did actually smudge it with cals! Although I want to try fisherman and the Studio ocean mark drag grease but I can't seem to ever buy any... and I never have problems with cal's. Cutting and grinding carbon fiber sure is fun but it itches like hell on my underarms! :)

hafnor

In fact I was thinking about cutting a sheet to the dims that the instrument  panel in my boat is and replace it! think it would look awesome! But I do wonder one thing. maybe somebody is able to help me out! On aftermarket handles and clem's drag plate, dog bracket etc the CF has a shiny hard feel to it. Is it coated with something? varnish?

Newell Nut

This thread has been quite entertaining and so many examples hit home pretty hard. I am no doubt a certified Reel-Head.

Cone

hafnor, the carbon fiber composite handles are made by using carbon fiber cloth and a resin such as epoxy. The basic layup is similar to fiberglass.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

UKChris

Or when you buy (another) reel you don't need just so that you can take it apart and make it better!

Chris

surfcaster

Recently replaced the clutch on my old truck, The night before before , at the kitchen table (aka workbench)
  Opened the box of parts The parts included a sealed bearing .I removed the sealed bearing shields
  put Alan Tani yamaha blue grease & reinstalled the shields.

hafnor

Quote from: surfcaster on March 27, 2013, 01:32:46 PM
Recently replaced the clutch on my old truck, The night before before , at the kitchen table (aka workbench)
  Opened the box of parts The parts included a sealed bearing .I removed the sealed bearing shields
  put Alan Tani yamaha blue grease & reinstalled the shields.

Haha! classic man! alooot of bearings to pack when it comes to cars :)