A freshwater trolling motor... In salt

Started by JasonGotaProblem, October 24, 2023, 11:06:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

Well I might have to empty a beer can to do the test,and then the result is 6 of one,half a dozen of another,a length of rope,a hose pipe,you smell my drift...my coworker used to ask me "are you sitting down"? even if I were standing ::)"listen to what I am about to tell ya" followed by a long funny story or gossip.He was quite a character, grew up in south GA so poor they actually hunted possum for supper,and had a "Gubment" outhouse.He ended up retiring and has 5 checks coming in from all his different jobs,plus social security.not poor now for sure !

oldmanjoe

Quote from: jgp12000 on March 30, 2024, 02:21:13 PMWell I might have to empty a beer can to do the test,and then the result is 6 of one,half a dozen of another,a length of rope,a hose pipe,you smell my drift...my coworker used to ask me "are you sitting down"? even if I were standing ::)"listen to what I am about to tell ya" followed by a long funny story or gossip.He was quite a character, grew up in south GA so poor they actually hunted possum for supper,and had a "Gubment" outhouse.He ended up retiring and has 5 checks coming in from all his different jobs,plus social security.not poor now for sure !

My kind of testing , a 12 pack should give you a good idea on how fast cans melt in saltwater .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

jgp12000

ok Joe,12 of one, a dozen of another :d

Gfish

Quote from: Squidder Bidder on October 24, 2023, 05:57:24 PMI would guess that the saltwater version has more robust seals and rings and such. But it's possible that MinnKota is just charging a premium for a "saltwater" version. (Do the comparable freshwater and saltwater motors have differing color schemes with the saltwater being white and therefore a better match for typical saltwater vessels' color schemes?).

You nailed it SB. It's imperative not to have a leaking seal on the submersible motor unit, for anything used in SW. body seals shouldn't be a problem unless you smack something, but the propeller shaft seal will eventually leak and must be checked at least every couple of uses if old, less so if new. A few drops of SW can eventually ruin the whole motor. Ask me how I know this one...

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Brewcrafter

Jason - If you are going to go through the work of trying to make it more robust for salt use, under the heading of "it won't cost much and may not help but certainly can't hurt" I would consider attaching a sacrificial zinc anode or two into the assembly....- john

Keta

Good idea, aluminum does not play well in saltwater, especially if more "noble" metals are around.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

Paint it white and it'll be a salt water trolling motor!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

MarkT

Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 30, 2024, 02:01:12 PM

Kinder like sitting in a aluminium boat eating M & M , will they melt in your hand or your mouth .
With that spelling, yeah, it doesn't seem logical!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!