Cleaning Reels

Started by bluesnart, November 12, 2023, 05:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brewcrafter

One of the "tricks" with Simple Green is it's concentration - many times the stuff purchased in bulk is meant to be cut or diluted with water to a "working strength" which they tend to print in 6 point type.  Given my previous professional life; there was certainly a tendency to the philosophy when reading dilution instructions to "If a little is good, more is better and waaaay too much is just right" (thank God I do not supervise a Team anymore.  My two weekly diatribes: "Are your safety glasses doing you any good sitting on the top of your head" and "Do you know what a graduated cylinder is for?") Anyhow, it is pretty aggressive stuff that I tend to use sparingly and diluted.  A little more "elbow grease" and a little less "apply and rinse" mentality. - john

jurelometer

Good on you for taking non-toxic into consideration. 

I keep saying this:

Isopropyl alcohol is a great solvent on lubricating grease. If you use 90% or greater concentration, a thin layer of it will evaporate nearly immediately. It does not leave a residue. It is not nearly as toxic as most of the alternative solvents. Stronger is not always better.

And you don't need to worry about hazardous waste disposal.  It all just evaporates.

The one disadvantage of isopropyl alcohol relative to the more powerful (and toxic) solvents is that it takes more of it to dissolve the same amount of grease.  So maybe not the best solvent for rebuilding your car engine, but reel parts are small, and you can even wipe them first. 

In fact, as Alan noted, in many cases wiping off most of the old grease is all that is necessary.  I only worry about cleaning out all the old grease if there is some sort of contamination or hardening.

If you use soap or similar cleaners, you will need to clean completely, and rise thoroughly to remove any cleaner residue or contaminated grease.  Otherwise  it can degrade the newly applied grease.

IMHO, if you already have a suitable grease, there is no need to buy another.  Yamalube Marine is not magic grease.  It is just one of many that will get the job done. Reels are not very demanding machinery when it comes to greases.

-J

1badf350

Quote from: bluesnart on December 01, 2023, 05:03:41 PMHello 1badf350
I had a 71 F150 wish I still had it...
I used to fish Anaheim Bay where there was a simple green plant right in PCH
This is a good product I've used it before and it fits into the non solvent non toxic category...in fact I may have a bottle around someplace...
Thanks for the info
Juan
Just don't use it for side plates. It will dull them immediately
Anything metal is good to go.
I just soak parts in a plastic container overnight then rinse in the morning. It really works well.
I dump it back in the bottle after use
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Rancanfish

Our old friend Sal turned me on to Paslode spray electronic tool cleaner. Way safer than brake cleaner and cuts right thru the grease. And Home Depot carries it.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

bluesnart

These are all interesting and important suggestions to a newcomer like me...although I have been taking care of my reels for a long time...the the need to be more thorough began a few years back when I started "collecting"...accumulating really...direct drive reels...then Zeno Cardinal Dam Quick and Shimano Bantam 100 1000 300...to name a few...and servicing them more completely
I have used alcohol and it worked..thanks...simple green not so much...and I do understand the need to "keep it simple and not overthink this subject but it's interesting to me to read your comments and as every bass fisherman knows...what's enough!
Thanks again Juan

JasonGotaProblem

Back when I was still making hot sauce professionally with reapers and scorpions etc I always kept a bottle of high proof cheap booze on hand for when pepper mash eventually got on your skin. 76% is the highest florida allows. That cut capsaicin pretty well. I kinda wanna get another bottle and put it in a spray bottle. Probably work pretty well.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jgp12000

There is a good cleaner "Awesome"
I have used it on reels externally only and it's good for hand prints on walls<grandchildren>I have never used on reel grease.I will test it next time I service a reel. I use lacquer thinner on reel internals,but never on painted parts.Awesome is cheap.

ourford

I second the Isopropyl alcohol.
Vic

bluesnart

I wanna thank the members for all of your interesting comments...
Juan