Free Spool worse after Service???

Started by ebnash, March 04, 2012, 04:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebnash

Got my TSI301 today from Mr. UPS man and I am a believer.  My brand new Avet JX that had about 15 seconds of freespool after servicing it yesterday, just got 68 seconds after cleaning out the Reel X from the spool bearings and replacing it with TSI301.   :o

TSI301 smells a lot like Break Free gun oil, but it is much thinner.
Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste nothing, offer No Apologies...

franky

Quote from: Jimmer on March 04, 2012, 05:17:23 PM
Be sure not to spin the bearings with compressed air, that's rough on them.

Is that true?   :-\

After soaking mines in solvent, I've done this before and wow does it spin really good, fast, and smooth.  Then I treat it with a drop of TSI321.  

I have also noticed that prior to cleaning out the bearings on some reels, the bearings were quiet and the spin time was okay.  Then after cleaning and treating the bearings, they became fast and very noisy.  Sometimes people would look at the reel and be happy that it spins like crazy, but they would also take notice of the loud sound and were not sure to to be happy or not... :-\

Could this be because I'm spinning the cleaned and dried bearings?  I hope not....

There were times I felt like dismantaling the reel again and put back the thick muck of grease just to quiet down the noise.  :-\

alantani

when you clean out a bearing, you are unmasking any flaws.  cheap bearings (loose) will rattle like crazy.  that's one way to tell the difference between a cheap bearing and a good quality one.  i see that alot!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: franky on March 06, 2012, 01:36:13 AM

Is that true?  Could this be because I'm spinning the cleaned and dried bearings?  I hope not....

It is easy to over rev a clean dry bearing by spinning it with compressed air and they can come apart sending little pieces of bearing flying at high speed.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Nuvole

Quote from: Keta on March 06, 2012, 03:49:22 PM
Quote from: franky on March 06, 2012, 01:36:13 AM

Is that true?  Could this be because I'm spinning the cleaned and dried bearings?  I hope not....

It is easy to over rev a clean dry bearing by spinning it with compressed air and they can come apart sending little pieces of bearing flying at high speed.

Wow, thanks for the info. I was greedily looking at the powerful compressor onboard of my ship when I do my reel service onboard, till the chief engineer saw my greed and remind me to put on full eye protection before I touch it.

Jimmer

Definitly spray them out nice and clean, it's just not a good practice to spin dry bearings with compressed air, I hold them so they don't spin.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

franky

Oh...okay...Rodger that!

Thanks folks.  ;)

ebnash

Wow, what a difference a decent set of bearings makes.  I went and saw Alan last night and got new spool bearings for 4 of my Avets and I was very surprised to how much difference decent bearings make.  Obviously, I saw very exceptional free spool times but I was more impressed with how smooth these bearings spin compared to the stock Avet Bearings.

Thanks again Alan.  Pretty awesome to have such great reel support so close to home.

Of course now I am tempted to just replace all of the bearings throughout my reels  ;D
Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste nothing, offer No Apologies...

Jimmer

What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann