Great video on Okuma Cavalla (Metaloid) teardown and maintenance.

Started by Mkozmo626, January 14, 2024, 10:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mkozmo626

HI:

I recently came across this video on YouTube that shows the tear down and rebuild of an Okuma Cavalla reel. I followed the video along with a Okuma Metaloid 12II and the build between the Cavalla and the Metaloid are almost identical.

jurelometer

Thanks for posting this!  The Okuma maintenance videos are pretty useful.

I did notice that the drag washer retainer was removed, but not the drag washer.  Since there is a retainer and the drag washer is a separate numbered part, I assume that it is not glued in.

Carbon fiber on aluminum has a substantial risk for galvanic corrosion (on the aluminum) in the presence of salt and moisture.  I would remove the drag washer clean and de-salt the washer and spool if there was any sign of corrosion (degrease, then warm fresh water with gentle toothbrush and air dry). Also lubricate the underside of the washer and spool surface to provide a complete barrier between the dissimilar materials and to inhibit any salt or moisture getting in there. Then drag grease in the slot where the retainer goes, and on the retainer. Dissimilar metals again...

The Cavalla (correctly) has the anti reverse dog/ratchet on the main shaft.  Eared dog, not ideal, but it could be worse.  It might be useful to note that the use of lubricant on the ratchet/dog mechanism needs to be minimal in order so to prevent a dog failure in the future.

And on an unrelated note, one thing always puzzled me: We seem to expect that we need these beefy frames and sideplates on our two speed lever drag reels to withstand higher drag settings.  But that tiny little rectangular shift pin and the slots that it hopefully drops all the way into are bearing the full winding load.  It seems odd.  And two speed shift mechanisms are known to fail.  It must be tough to fit a robust system in such a small space, or maybe it has simply not received enough design attention. 

Not picking on Okuma here.  This is a common design, and the alternates that I have seen don't appear to be much more inspiring.

I am also wondering if there two speeds out there with the anti-reverse on the handle shaft. That would be much worse for the shifter. 

-J