what have we learnt?

Started by wallacewt, February 29, 2012, 03:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fodf

If you'll indulge me for a moment, a quick story. About 10 years ago I thought that I'd crack open my 113 4/0 blackie that I'd been using for halibut fishing.  I'd used it for 6 years and never opened it up, so I figured it was time.  Note that I'd never cleaned or lubed a reel before.  So I went at it and tore the whole thing down, not really paying attention to the progression.  I cleaned it all up, then realized I had no clue what went where to put it back together.  Not to worry, I had an identical backup to use as a guide.  Yep, you guessed it.  Now I had TWO reels apart with no idea what went where.  I bagged up the parts and took them down to a local shop, with an obvious red face, and asked them to reassemble my mistakes.

Flash forward to the day I discovered this forum a couple of months ago.  Newly retired I thought maybe I'd try my hand again at tearing down and cleaning/upgrading my quiver of reels.  I started with a couple of old Pflueger Interoceans since they had no drags to worry about; a leather thumb pad is used as stopping power.  That went well with what I had at hand for lube (Penn grease/oil).  Next came those Penns (60 Long Beach, 109, 180, 209, and that pesky 113)  Eureka, success.  Then I looked at my Ambassadeurs (5000D, 5600C4, and 6500C3).  Again, success.  Finally the Shimanos (TLD15LD, Charter Special LD, and a newly acquired Tekota 500LC).  Bingo.  In the mean time I'd accumulated the necessary lubes (Yamaha grease, Corrosion X, Real X, and TSI301) and tools.  I wouldn't have even dreamed to do what I've done had it not been for this forum and the incredible participants.  Thank you all for all that you have given me.  Someday I hope to return the favor.  Eric

Makule

Quote from: fodf on March 03, 2012, 05:30:09 PM
If you'll indulge me for a moment, a quick story. About 10 years ago I thought that I'd crack open my 113 4/0 blackie that I'd been using for halibut fishing.  I'd used it for 6 years and never opened it up, so I figured it was time.  Note that I'd never cleaned or lubed a reel before.  So I went at it and tore the whole thing down, not really paying attention to the progression.  I cleaned it all up, then realized I had no clue what went where to put it back together.  Not to worry, I had an identical backup to use as a guide.  Yep, you guessed it.  Now I had TWO reels apart with no idea what went where.  I bagged up the parts and took them down to a local shop, with an obvious red face, and asked them to reassemble my mistakes.

Flash forward to the day I discovered this forum a couple of months ago.  Newly retired I thought maybe I'd try my hand again at tearing down and cleaning/upgrading my quiver of reels.  I started with a couple of old Pflueger Interoceans since they had no drags to worry about; a leather thumb pad is used as stopping power.  That went well with what I had at hand for lube (Penn grease/oil).  Next came those Penns (60 Long Beach, 109, 180, 209, and that pesky 113)  Eureka, success.  Then I looked at my Ambassadeurs (5000D, 5600C4, and 6500C3).  Again, success.  Finally the Shimanos (TLD15LD, Charter Special LD, and a newly acquired Tekota 500LC).  Bingo.  In the mean time I'd accumulated the necessary lubes (Yamaha grease, Corrosion X, Real X, and TSI301) and tools.  I wouldn't have even dreamed to do what I've done had it not been for this forum and the incredible participants.  Thank you all for all that you have given me.  Someday I hope to return the favor.  Eric

Second career?

BTW, as far as taking things apart and not being able to put them back together:  Been there, done that, many, many, times.  The fun is not putting it back.  It's taking it apart to see how it works.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Makule

Aside from the great people and information, I've learned that my reels all look like crap compared to everything else I've seen here.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

alantani

Quote from: fodf on March 03, 2012, 05:30:09 PM
  Someday I hope to return the favor.  Eric

we always accept beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BMITCH

I've also learnt. That now I need glasses!
luck is the residue of design.

wallacewt

this thread has just about run its course and there has not been one mention of money  involved.spent or saved.somehow i expected this.cheers

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

mackereljoe

Learned so much from this site.  Don't recall damaging a reel beyond repair since this site's been up; even put the old Penn 2/0 together that's been in pieces for so many years.  Thanks all. 

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: BMITCH on March 03, 2012, 11:33:36 PM
I've also learnt. That now I need glasses!

LMAO.....  Thats one of the first things I learned!!!!
What a difference to.....    8)
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: wallacewt on March 10, 2012, 11:56:25 PM
this thread has just about run its course and there has not been one mention of money  involved.spent or saved.somehow i expected this.cheers
Wallace, I never thought about that angle on this thread. I never paid to have my reels maintained and don't think about how much I contribute to the economy of the parts houses. ;D  Although my wife might not feel the same if she knew. :o  I'm just doing it for the fun of it and efficiency of improving my reels' functioning. And I collect a small fee for working on my mates' stuff. Good thread anyway.
Cheers,
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B