970 beast

Started by JasonGotaProblem, November 22, 2023, 07:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

It was on eBay. I got it for a great price because ExcessiveAngler was kind enough to not get into a bidding war with me.

I may try to take it to the beach today.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on November 24, 2023, 02:53:13 PMIt was on eBay. I got it for a great price because ExcessiveAngler was kind enough to not get into a bidding war with me.

Yeah, yeah yeah, don't rub it in buddy lol!
Was very hard for me to tell you about this particular 970, it was in mint condition!
None of mine, are that clean and I told you what I paid for both of mine!
I paid double what you paid, went to great lengths, to get them as well!
Hopefully, you'll hold onto it, they don't come up very often in that condition!

steelfish

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on November 24, 2023, 06:27:19 PM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on November 24, 2023, 02:53:13 PMIt was on eBay. I got it for a great price because ExcessiveAngler was kind enough to not get into a bidding war with me.

Yeah, yeah yeah, don't rub it in buddy lol!
Was very hard for me to tell you about this particular 970, it was in mint condition!
None of mine, are that clean and I told you what I paid for both of mine!

;D  ;D  ;D
The Baja Guy

jurelometer

A couple more thoughts...

Sal was right about the 970 being a bit before it's time.  With the larger shaft, and probably a heavier spool, it should not make as good a distance caster as something like a 925 or even a Squidder with a frame upgrade.  Also a bit oversized reel for the spool size.  So sort of a heavy duty/small line capacity  reel with a magnetic cast control and a medium-high gear ratio.  Definitely an odd duck until gelspun braid became popular over 20 years later, and that extra load capacity and cast control became much more important in a small volume spool reel.

In terms of load, I assume that you have upgraded to the stainless steel gear sleeve.  Even so, and even with the 970's oversized gear sleeve, you are going to have to worry about that handle arm junction when winding against more extreme loads. That aluminum  handle arm would be my bet for the first component to wear out - especially with the extra arm length and that cranking knob.

Sal was not a big fan of the extra long arms and full hand grip knobs on reels that needed to be worked a lot (like tossing lures, or retrieving long casts.  He leaned more towards a slightly longer than stock arm and a nice chubby torpedo style knob.  Good for speed winding, but still up for some heavier cranking.   I agree.  Those long arms and big grips only become an advantage when winding against heavy load.

Here is one of his  preferred arm styles and a knob that he made for me on a jigmaster.

-J

Porthos

I'll measure the spool shaft length from my 970 parts reel later today...stand by.

Well, the reel was easily accessible in garage...a hair under 86mm. From your pics, your plates and rings are fully seated.

My 970 has about 325 yds of 50lb solid braid...it is the designated 30lb reel on the SOA charters...maybe 40lb in a pinch. Personal preference to go no higher purely based on spool capacity.

Have landed dorado, YFT, and YT on it. Still hoping for a BFT hookup on it someday.

YMMV.

JasonGotaProblem

How bad #### would it be to see a one piece frame for this guy. Further how cool would it be to see that frame as a low profile

Speaking of simpler more likely ideas, I bet a modified (basically upside down) reel foot/base could also achieve that goal with a lot less fabrication.

Not that it's needed. This just sits really high for the size of the spool.

Porthos

It has been discussed in older threads about the solution(s) to the plate/screw breakage issue:
  • Pillar bedding with brass/metal tubing. Basically cutting "pillars" the height of the gap between the rings and plates; will need 8 that fit just right
  • 3-D printing one-piece inserts that would take up the space in the gap
  • milling new rings/one-piece frame with internal pillars for all the plate screwholes

Of course, the "just snug enough and no overtightening" involves no "special" effort...

JasonGotaProblem

Also I got to try it at the beach a bit. I had a 15mph head wind, but I struggled to gdt a 6oz sinker past 60 yds. Best cast was 85yds and that was during a break in the wind. but I'm still using the original bearings that i can't get out of the cup. I may have to hit mystic. So i cant do an apples to apples against other reels using brand new high quality/sometimes ceramic bearings. But all those casts after the first few were entirely thumb free except at the landing. So I'm still pretty impressed.

Porthos

Quote from: Porthos on December 01, 2023, 12:57:21 PM...Still hoping for a BFT hookup on it someday.

I take that back...totally forgot about this trip in 2013:
https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/tribute-7-19-7-21-1-5-day-took-home-1-fish.505359/

BFT on 970...DONE!!! It's a BFT on the Monofil 27 that is still on the bucket list!