Penn TRQ40

Started by Sylvester, March 09, 2012, 08:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylvester

I'm gonna check on the grease now and see if it is a PTFE or not.

Sylvester

its not a PTFE grease. Called our grease supplier and he is going to bring me some PTFE based samples on Monday!!!

Squirmypug

Lets hope that fixes it, if not you may want to order some Cal's. If it doesn't work and you just can't stand to have a jerky drag I would be willing to give it a good home  ;D  The TRQ40 seems to be alot like my TRQ300, I haven't had any problems with the drag. This is my only reel with HT100s that I didn't add Cal's to and it is very smooth.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Sylvester

Quote from: Squirmypug on March 09, 2012, 11:23:58 AM
Lets hope that fixes it, if not you may want to order some Cal's. If it doesn't work and you just can't stand to have a jerky drag I would be willing to give it a good home  ;D  The TRQ40 seems to be alot like my TRQ300, I haven't had any problems with the drag. This is my only reel with HT100s that I didn't add Cal's to and it is very smooth.

I hope so too. I have had such bad luck with these Carbon fibre drags. I'm sure I must be missing a trick somewhere. They sure can't be that bad if so many people are raving about them.....judgement reserved though till I hook another bus and she puts them to the test with proper grease.

mizmo67

Just a thought about "jerky drags". You didn't post what line you are using so it might be a possible answer, even though you have stated that your other reels work fine.

If it's braided line, you should always have some kind of backing under it, like a layer of mono or even just cotton twine. Otherwise, the braided can bite into itself periodically and spin on the the spool, making it feel like your drags are not working right, skipping/slipping.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Sylvester

On my shark reels, Trinidad 40(600m Whiplash), Torque 40(450m Power Pro) and Torium 30(450m Power Pro), 50lb braid backing with either 0.45, 0.50 or 0.55mm Suffix Synergy mono topshot. Braid is packed SUPER tight with masking tape to protect the spool.

Was out today again. No fish but tested the drags on my other reels vs the Penn and there are light years between them! Hoping the grease will do the trick!

mizmo67

The masking tape should be enough to keep the braid from spinning, so that's not the answer then.

Might very well be the type/amount of grease.

When using greases that is designed for the carbon drags, it's usually recommended (by Cal's for example) to only use an ultra fine coat, then wipe it off, so it's just barely applied.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Sylvester

Hi guys, its been a while and I finally got round to applying some of the PTFE grease to the HT 100 washers!!!!! WOW, what a difference! They are running silky smooth at the moment. I need to test them properly, wading and submerging, but it feels great for now! Thanks for the guidence! Will give feedback after a decent fish. It may take a while though as we are at the end of our summer now!

Squirmypug

Glad you got it all fixed.  ;D  What kind of grease did you use? Some people may want to try it when they can't get Cal's or Shimano drag grease.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!