Super Stock and Stock Dam Quicks

Started by oldmanjoe, November 27, 2023, 06:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

:fish  ;D  :fish  :cf
  Super Stock reels may look like ordinary fishing reels  but they are highly modified Fishing reels   The category features primarily late-model reels and vintage muscle reels , and entries are classified using a system that divides factory sizes and  weight by usable horsepower.         
              Super Stock reels are similar to  Stock reels but the rules regarding everything from internal  modifications to body alterations are much stricter.
    All entrees are welcome to participate for classification
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

I have a candidate for super stock class .    It`s a 1972 440 Quick That I pulled out of the weeds .
     Striped it down and sent it to the wash rack , from there it will go to the body shop to clean up some blemishes .
   The Quick 440 was the last model in this series to come from the factory.
 The fine adjustment of the bail release which only the quick 440 had is interesting.
    It can be made harder or softer with just a few simple steps and a screwdriver .     The reel of the successor series [ 110n - 550n ]  all had similar technology .
The Stock 440 had  1: 3.5 gear ratio and 26 inches per crank revolution .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Finished up a 6-reel factory original restoration project for a client up in Idaho that wanted his Father's DAM Quicks restored so that he could give them to his kids.  Nice to pass down Grandpa's reels.

There was a 440 in the mix —- and Joe is correct.  They are different from any other DQ.  The frame is the same size as a 330 —- but different slightly.  The rotor is fairly large.

The bail trip mechanism is unique.  The bail is larger, as is the spool.

This is a great reel for Salmon, Steelhead, Pike, Muskies, Stripers, large Cats, and other large species.

Plenty of stopping power and backbone, good line capacity —- but not as large or cumbersome as a Super, 550, 550N, 5000, or 5001 reels. That are fairly rare.  Not a lot of money.  A great value.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Gfish on November 27, 2023, 07:50:08 PMWhere's the bail release parts?
The bail release is that half moon looking thing on the rim !!!

oldmanjoe

These are the parts for the bail trip in the rotor.  The spring is a piece of 8 inch long straight wire.
  I believe is is unique to the 440 , all other models are bent in a triangle form .
     One note about the switch block is the little screw on top, it is a lock screw to hold the adjustment screw for the bail adjustments .  The little 45 degree cuts on top allow a twist and pull down to remove and install .

>:D  >:D  Now remember Fred has told us that the 330 and the 440 share some parts .  So i will get back to ya later , I got to dig through the stock pile for some parts

oldmanjoe

Stock reel with momo spool 95% full took up 26 inches of line .
   Stock reel with braid spool 100% full took up 28 inches of line .

Super stock with momo took up 34 inches of line .
   Super stock with braid took up 38.1/2 inches of line  .

Anybody want to lure race in a 100 yards dash ?

Gfish

The SS vs the S reels, the differences are in the gears, the spool, both? What about the crank arm length?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oldmanjoe

:)  The difference are in the gears .  No change in crank arm length .
 In the grand scheme of things , the amount of line on your spool makes your reel variable speed , another gear ratio .

Gfish

Yup. A turn of the handle gets a fixed number of gear/rotor revolutions. After that it's spool circumference. A shorter handle can be turned faster by a person, until of course, there's excessive weight to crank-in.

oldmanjoe

;D  I have this chunk of aluminium that I am tired of moving ever time I clean up around the lathe .
       It so happen that there looks like a spool ,is hidden in there .   Mark it up, chuck it up and spin it .     Just because I can I added more frictions ,by changing some dimensions .

Still have to cut it for the line and tune it as I go along .

oldmanjoe

I cut the spool and installed the old line from the stock spool for testing .  This spool holds more line going from the pictures .  This is .020 /25 pound test line .   It spooled evenly ,but did not fill the spool .  I did try a few cast as is, It was pitiful .  Timing was late and 30 yard at best .

Note that the spool is square ."leading edge and base the same diameter "
 Had another 330 spooled with .015 mono so i just added this to the spool to fill it .  About half way a knot and .013 mono change ,but kept on going to fill . Big hour glass appeared "Second picture "

Pulled  off line back to the 25 pound test .   Changed base friction .060 to .025 and rewound spool .
  Now top heavy "fift picture ", That`s ok I can fix this by cleaning up the front part of the spool,"Have a few thousands leeway here " .

Tryed a few test cast now and all was right in the world again . timing and casting went up .

I will spool this with a fresh 20 pound mono ,before I make any corrections in the spool.!!

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

I started playing with a 441 n model .   Basic clean up and painted burgundy for color .
  I bought the reel with out the spool for 9 dollars .   I new I wanted to build a spool for one that I could switch with a 440 n also .

I wanted to try something a little different in drag set up .  I want to try a two friction set up for starters , with possible adding another friction on the top if needed .   A shallow well,but very wide on top with more bearing stability in the middle .   I am going to build it with flat stock ,so I can change pieces if I need to change the design any as I go along .

They were scrap 3/8 thick and 1/4 thick square pieces that I turned round .
   The 1/4 plate is the bottom drag plate with a recess to lock in the spool spindle  2.500 in diameter for the first friction.  The spool base has a cup cut in the bottom to match .    I am using .070 cork for a friction so I can work out the numbers as I go along .

The top plate has a well .200 deep and 1.800 in diameter . Another cork friction and a.060 stainless steel key washer under the drag nut

The center section is .730 long to start with ,and .865 diameter to start with . This may change to fine tune line lay and yardage .   A center tube full length for the bearing

First test for spooling line .

I did not put tension on the line when I tried it for the first time .  I think I am close , I want to try some other line before I make some adjustments .

ExcessiveAngler

Would that braid, just happen to be Hercules?
Looks a little heavy too. Not sure if it's just the camera doing if?
But darn, you got some mighty fine machining skills there, brother!
That spool looks incredible and turned out awesome. Makes a guy envious lol.
Actually saw a pair of these on FB for $50 the other other day. Tried to get them too!
They were less than 10 miles from my house.
Was a 440 and a 550, but they were gone fast.
One was lefty, and the other one was a righty. Might've taken pictures of them. I'll have to check real quick.