Super Stock and Stock Dam Quicks

Started by oldmanjoe, November 27, 2023, 06:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

:)  You guess it Hercules 90 pound braid , it`s the only bulk braid I have at the moment .  Other than 20 pound mono witch is about the same diameter .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 29, 2024, 05:29:20 AM:)  You guess it Hercules 90 pound braid , it`s the only bulk braid I have at the moment .  Other than 20 pound mono which is about the same diameter .
Oh my goodness 90 huh lol. I only use 90 pound braid when I'm casting 8 to 10 ounce sinkers on my surf rods as a shock leader.
I hate that braid, It's horrible lol!
Line lay should definitely change for the better with lighter quality braid on there. Need to get yourself some fire line.
Don't know what it is about that line, but man, it is good stuff and really does favor older spinners. I mostly use original power pro super slick on my spinners. Just about time to go on the hunt for some again, if I can get my head above the water lol.
As usual, you're painting, looks gorgeous by the way.

ExcessiveAngler

Yep, it was a 440N then a 540N, just as I describe them. Was trying to join the DAM club lol. I just wanted to see what they felt like, compared to other old spinners.
If they felt good, I was going to keep them.
Here's a pic or two, if you don't mind?IMG_3207.png

oldmanjoe

I spooled up 20 pound mono and was happy .  Very workable for what I want to do with spool.
         I have been just using screws to hold the spool together , but wanted to try brazing this one together .     :(  :(  :( Gravity took over , back to the lathe to machine a new bottom section .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

:)  :)     Made the new bottom plate and wound some 20 and 30 pound mono ,.018 and .022 .
 No shimming , but you can see the difference !

Screwed the spool together and shaped the top nut. 

JasonGotaProblem

Well done. How does it cast? Have you thought about some DIY anodizing?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oldmanjoe

I have read  up on Anodizing , and would like to try it .    It`s one of them hobby bucket list things to try .

I have not tried the casting , but see no problem nice smooth lip on the spool.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: oldmanjoe on April 04, 2024, 01:24:03 PMI have read  up on Anodizing , and would like to try it .    It`s one of them hobby bucket list things to try .

I have not tried the casting , but see no problem nice smooth lip on the spool.
An idea I've been kicking around is "dry anodizing" which may already exist because I'm not the first person to think of weird ideas. Basically you can buy cans of the gimmicky pure O2 at Walgreens. I considered prepping the surface of the spool and Rigging up a container with an inflow and an outflow valve and pumping the jar full of O2 til I'm confident most the other gasses are out, then leaving it for about a week til it's got that "aluminum oxide " look.

Probably pretty ideal for a vintage reel like this one.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oldmanjoe

Dry Anodizing ?    Is that like fresh cut aluminium taking on the light gray look in a few days ?

Steve V.

Quote from: oldmanjoe on April 04, 2024, 01:24:03 PMI have read  up on Anodizing, and would like to try it. It`s one of them hobby bucket list things to try. I have not tried the casting, but see no problem nice smooth lip on the spool.

These folks have a good reputation in the old tool restoration hobby and the vintage razor restoration hobby.

Caswell Plating

Steve