Clamps

Started by Keta, March 09, 2012, 10:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I always have used rod clamps on my reels if they came with them.  I know it can help with large fish and gear but are clamps needed for reels used for under 80lb?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Quote from: Keta on March 09, 2012, 10:00:54 PM
I always have used rod clamps on my reels if they came with them.  I know it can help with large fish and gear but are clamps needed for reels used for under 80lb?
Lee:  I always use them.  If they don't come with a used reel I buy one.  I never quite thought about it.  However, now that you brought up the subject rod clamps are probably not necessary on something like 20-30lb, although I've had some big fish on 30lb.  So having thought it out loud here, it's like your comment "that's why I wear a belt and suspenders."  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Yup.

I'm thinking just "a belt" will be good for my light gear.  Possably as heavy as my 50lb-60lb halibut reels. 

What brought this up is I broke another SS clamp stud on an Avet MX this morning and I'm not happy about it.  It will take me at least an hour to remove the broken stud and the reel work is a favor.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

wallacewt

i like the ones that accept the lanyard.extra safety.

Maxed Out

I like to think they do serve a purpose other than just looking cool.

When properly attached, a rod clamp will keep the reel very stable and secure even if the seat clamp on the rod works loose.

Ever tried reeling on a fish when the reel is coming loose from the rod ??? I have and it ain't no fun.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Jimmer

On under 30# gear i just use a zip tie in a figure 8 around the reel seat - works good so far.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Irish Jigger

Quote from: wallacewt on March 10, 2012, 01:12:30 AM
i like the ones that accept the lanyard.extra safety.

Good point Wallace,that's the only reason I use them on my 20/30 lb gear.

Keta

I rarely troll less than 40lb and my trolling rigs all have lanyards.  I'm thinking that for my small stuff to leave them off, especially the ones I use for casting iron and swimbaits.

Mark Twain

doradoben

I think it's a good idea to use a clamp for fishing irons because the strike/hook-up is much more violent than when flylining a bait.  I install clamps on any of my reels that will accept them, just as an added safety measure..

alantani

yeah, i'm a belt and suspenders guy, too!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

floating doc

Quote from: alantani on March 12, 2012, 04:48:15 AM

Me too. I've always installed them if the reel came with one. It never occurred to me leave it off.
Central Florida

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: floating doc on March 15, 2012, 02:07:28 AM
Quote from: alantani on March 12, 2012, 04:48:15 AM

Me too. I've always installed them if the reel came with one. It never occurred to me leave it off.

Ditto here. If you clamp a 3/4" pipe in a vise, attach a reel with hose clamps and no rod clamp, and then wind some line on under just 8-10 pounds of drag, you'll be amazed and how much the reel stand (foot) flexes under the turning of the crank.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Brendan

Several of my mid range rods have cork tape handles and no reel seat, so I have to use the clamps. I have heard of people using them as a very minimum security measure on party boats for all of their rods. The thought being a thief will bypass the reel with a clamp and grab the one without one. I don't like fishing Places where that's an issue.

Panama

I put clamps on all my setups.  Good point on the thieves (never thought of that).  Most of my rods are deckhand handle so I have to attach them securely.  In addition I feel the old adage applies  "Better be safe than sorry"
Get on the water, Man!!!

Bill B

Belt and suspenders here too....if they provide them why not use them ???
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!