SOA 3-day, June 14-17, 2024

Started by alantani, January 06, 2024, 09:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

Quote from: Bill B on June 09, 2024, 03:02:06 PMPJ, this is my first BF trip in 2 years (thumb surgery).  I will be fishing the Eddie Bombs almost exclusively during the night hours and will be trying to stay up later to fish them. My last trip I hooked 3 freight trains and landed 2 using a rubber band rig, during the day.

I will also be trolling.  Hopeful that I will hook up, but not betting the farm.

Bill

Sounds like a good plan Bill!

You should give the drop shot style sinker rig a try. It's super quick to drop down when the fish are deep

CooldadE

Looking through my tackle I see I only have 25 and 40 fluorocarbon... do y'all think  need some heavier ?
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

sciaenops

Hey Guys- just off a friend's 3-d on the Spirit. Don't know final tally but somewhere in 1.5 - 2 fish per for 24 of us. Very nice quality to 200# and all but 1 in the dark.

We had virtually no wind/drift w/schools hovering ~300' so lures of various sizes got bit (bombs getting down fastest). I hooked 5 on jigs from 250-420g (Short/fat, long/skinny, drop/retrieve).

Evan welcomed trollers driving around during the day. Not many takers if any in our group. Also flew kite to break monotony but only 1 hookup which got off.

Big, nice looking dines which didn't get exploited much (cept as chum)

Good luck out there,
Keith M.

Keta

Quote from: CooldadE on June 09, 2024, 04:20:37 PMLooking through my tackle I see I only have 25 and 40 fluorocarbon... do y'all think  need some heavier ?

Yes, I would bring 60# fluro for day time.  200# plus mono is good for night time.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

pjstevko

Quote from: CooldadE on June 09, 2024, 04:20:37 PMLooking through my tackle I see I only have 25 and 40 fluorocarbon... do y'all think  need some heavier ?

I'd bring a spool of every size from 20-100# and heavy night time leader material like 180-250 flouro or 250-300# mono

alantani

been getting text messages from friends.  awesome fishing!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Brewcrafter

Hoping you guys nail the bluefin!! - john

Almud

Just off the Searcher last Friday.  BFT were biting smaller jigs.  250 - 300 gram worked well.  Also 16 oz Eddy bombs.  Weather was nice, seas were flat.  All BFT caught at night after about 9pm.

Bill B

Rod and reel selections have been made.  Drags set.  Eddie Bombs rigged.  Flat falls rigged.  Sinkers/rubber bands re-stocked. Hooks selected and bundled. Trolling lures selected and rigged.  Just need to condense everything into as few tackle boxes as possible.  So far I'm down to 1 soft tackle box, 1 plastic ammo can for sinkers, 1 small box for trolling, and a reel bag.

The wife and I celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary tomorrow  (June 11th) will be going out for dinner.  The wife will be spending 4 days in San Diego while we fish.  We will drive down the night before and meet you at the docks.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dominick

Going to Los Cabos tomorrow.  Got 4 days of fishing planned.  Good luck to you guys on the boat.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

stoked4fishin

Quote from: Bill B on June 10, 2024, 06:19:54 PMRod and reel selections have been made.  Drags set.  Eddie Bombs rigged.  Flat falls rigged.  Sinkers/rubber bands re-stocked. Hooks selected and bundled. Trolling lures selected and rigged.  Just need to condense everything into as few tackle boxes as possible.  So far I'm down to 1 soft tackle box, 1 plastic ammo can for sinkers, 1 small box for trolling, and a reel bag.

The wife and I celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary tomorrow  (June 11th) will be going out for dinner.  The wife will be spending 4 days in San Diego while we fish.  We will drive down the night before and meet you at the docks.  Bill

Congratulations Bill!

Mjg378

Happy anniversary to y'all Bill!!
Mike Grosman

alantani

Quote from: Dominick on June 10, 2024, 09:06:02 PMGoing to Los Cabos tomorrow.  Got 4 days of fishing planned.  Good luck to you guys on the boat.  Dominick

to bad you can't join us!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

Just finished 5 hay hooks to help drag fish around the landing.  Not my best work but heck they are free and guaranteed to rust  :d

Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!