This is Very Cool — 18V Battery Adapters

Started by foakes, January 09, 2024, 01:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

I had a couple of those 9.6V turquoise Makitas. First one was back in '84 or '85.

Great tools!

The new Makitas are excellent also.

Problem isn't the tools —- it is the inconvenience and extremely expensive batteries.

Just like with printers and replacement ink cartridges, razor blades, and the electronics we all use today for tech —- we just need to get over the idea of keeping something that doesn't work.  A device, tool, or razor blade is useless when we are trying to make it work when it won't.  It is a different world than a lot of us grew up in. 

Since I have (9) Ridgid batteries guaranteed for life —- and the DeWalt tools are so good —- this was a no-brainer.  About half of my tools are corded —- about half are cordless.

I have also the little 12V Milwaukee's —- couple of drill/drivers —- and a couple of impacts.  Plus an oscillating multi tool.  They are now 15 years old —- bulletproof —- and the batteries are still very good!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: Brewcrafter on January 10, 2024, 05:29:41 AMI wish I understood this stuff better.  I have a really nice Dewalt 20V drill.  But I still find myself grabbing first my Dad's old Makita 9V that is probably older than most of our forum members...I have 3 batteries for it, only one of which still actually charges and holds a charge. - john
Still have a 9.6 V Makita hear myself, got to be 20 years old lol!  Still using the original battery, although it doesn't hold a charge like it used to!
All you have to do, is jump those Ni-cads like I described above. What happens, is crystals form on the cells(plates) and will not let them charge. In theory, by arcing the dead battery, it break up some of those crystals that are on the plates inside, letting the battery charge again. I'm sure somebody will jump in with the scientific explanation shortly lol!
After you get a battery up and running again, each time it charges, it usually gets a little better run time! I've had mixed results with this, have four lithium, Ryobi batteries here, but still using all of my old batteries as well.
Maybe I can do a little video real quick, if I get the chance shortly!
Took a nasty fall in the mud last night, from all the rain walking the dog in 70 mph gust!
Literally mud-skated, a good 7-8 foot, before I went down, like a 315 pound bag of rocks!

ExcessiveAngler

We'll see if the video will load up!
I alway always seem to have a problem!
Sorry, won't upload for some reason!

jtwill98

Try converting your .mov file to a .mpg file and then try uploading the file.

Use this link to convert the file.
  • Click on the "Select your MOV file" button.
  • Drop your file into the drop area. Note: the file must be less than 800MB.
  • Select the file format for the conversion "mpg"
  • Click the "Convert File button"

The site will prompt you when its ready to download. Download the file and then try uploading it here.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: jtwill98 on January 11, 2024, 02:20:58 AMTry converting your .mov file to a .mpg file and then try uploading the file.

Use this link to convert the file.
  • Click on the "Select your MOV file" button.
  • Drop your file into the drop area. Note: the file must be less than 800MB.
  • Select the file format for the conversion "mpg"
  • Click the "Convert File button"

The site will prompt you when its ready to download. Download the file and then try uploading it here.

Thanks for the tip, but really not sure what you're talking about lol?
Unfortunately, I am one of the technically challenged, when it comes to computers or phones lol!
Only have this happen, here at AT.
Such is life.

MarkT

My gardener has cancer and has retired suddenly... he's much older than me so I get it. I think I'm going to do my yard myself now that I'm retired. I was looking to get an Ego blower/trimmer/mower. My son is a fan of the Harbor Freight Atlas 80v stuff. It's certainly cheaper than the Ego stuff. Any opinions?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

CapeFish

With our struggling currency high level battery charged tools are simply stupidly expensive. Been through 3 cordless drills now two were Bosch, simply no point in even trying to replace the batteries. They sell them on specials with batteries, 1 replacement battery is almost as much as the drill. My plug in bosch drill has been abused for over 20 years and just keeps on going through concrete or whatever I throw at it.

Midway Tommy

Buying battery operated tools are just like buying an ink jet printer, buy it and then spend a fortune being able to keep it operating. I've owned 3 battery operated drills since the mid '80s. I wish I would never have wasted my $ on any of them. Everytime I went to use one it seemed like the battery was dead & I ended up using a corded drill.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

JasonGotaProblem

The argument for battery powered tools, to me, has nothing to do with the batteries. DC motors can handle a slow start a lot better than an AC motor. If I'm drilling I think i prefer AC but if I'm putting in screws that i don't want to strip then DC all the way.

You know how many tapcon heads I've ruined with an AC drill? More than i care to count. Can't say that about DC powered drills.

And i don't know of any DC motor drills that sre corded.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on January 11, 2024, 04:43:58 PMThe argument for battery powered tools, to me, has nothing to do with the batteries. DC motors can handle a slow start a lot better than an AC motor. If I'm drilling I think i prefer AC but if I'm putting in screws that i don't want to strip then DC all the way.

You know how many tapcon heads I've ruined with an AC drill? More than i care to count. Can't say that about DC powered drills.

And i don't know of any DC motor drills that sre corded.

That all depends on the quality of the variable speed drill one is using and how well versed they are at using it.

Personally, though, I would never use any type of power driver on a fishing reel. I prefer to feel the amount of torque I'm needing or producing.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 11, 2024, 05:59:49 PMThat all depends on the quality of the variable speed drill one is using and how well versed they are at using it.

Personally, though, I would never use any type of power driver on a fishing reel. I prefer to feel the amount of torque I'm needing or producing.
Fair, maybe it is the quality of the drill. I didn't grow up with quality tools. But I have a dewalt plug in and a dewalt cordless. And I know which I'd use for a screw.

Wholeheartedly agreed though on not using power tools on or in a reel (with the exception of my home made power winder but thats different). I'm talking about wood or concrete screws here.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 11, 2024, 04:28:15 PMBuying battery operated tools are just like buying an ink jet printer, buy it and then spend a fortune being able to keep it operating. I've owned 3 battery operated drills since the mid '80s. I wish I would never have wasted my $ on any of them. Everytime I went to use one it seemed like the battery was dead & I ended up using a corded drill.

I use corded tools also.  However, when at the end of our property, or on a jobsite —- an extension cord is not always possible, quick, or convenient.  Plus, I also use these on our trailer stabilizer jacks, and on the camper jacks when traveling.

The Ridgid batteries are very good.  They even have a push button illuminated indicator that shows the juice left in the battery.

Very handy.

Plus, I keep my batteries charged up —- and snap them on when going to use them.

If they ever fail —- Home Depot gives me a new one —- for life.

In 3 years —- there have been no failures.  And when I go to use one —- they are ready.  When they will fail —- Home Depot will be around when others have gone under.  Each battery has a serial number that must be registered within 90 days of purchase to be guaranteed for life.

Plus, if you haven't used a Ridgid or DeWalt tool —- you are in for an impressive time.  They are both tough, great features, and just "feel" good.  The torque on these surpass almost any other battery similar tool.

Now, for ink cartridges —-

Forget about inkjet printers.

If you have one —- toss it in the trash.

The cartridges cost $30-$40 each —- and will do only 250-300 pages before running out of ink, or drying up.

Instead, get a Canon D-570 black & white laser printer that uses powdered toner cartridges instead of ink.  One cartridge will print 2500 to 3000 pages.  I use after-market cartridges (which work just the same as factory Canon's) which are about $12-$13 each.  It will work with any computer, laptop, tablet, or phone.

It is wireless or cabled depending on your device.

Extremely high consumer ratings.

Regularly $179 —- on sale now for $99.

There is no ink mess, it is clean, and just makes sense.

Plus, I am not spending what seemed like $80 every 3 months for ink cartridges.

Inkjet printers are engineered and designed to drain your wallet.

Inexpensive, basic laser black & white printers are designed to capably print a lot of documents quickly and cheaply.  The inkjet companies will never admit this.

Just my thoughts based on personal experience.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

MarkT

Yes, inkjet printers bad, laser printers good. I've had laser printers since the 80's... I had a xerox followed by a NEC Silentwriter... the 1st postscript printer you could buy. I saw an article on it in computer week, called my wife and read it to her. She called the distributor to see where she could get one. They were just arriving at their warehouse. She had them leave one on the loading dock and she picked it up that day! I took the xerox to work and used it there for a while (work used them as department printers) and later sold it to one of the guys I worked with.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Midway Tommy

Color inkjet isn't real kind on the pocketbook, either. I try not to print a whole lot these days, but when I do at least 60% is in color.

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on January 11, 2024, 06:35:15 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 11, 2024, 05:59:49 PMThat all depends on the quality of the variable speed drill one is using and how well versed they are at using it.

Fair, maybe it is the quality of the drill. I didn't grow up with quality tools. But I have a dewalt plug in and a dewalt cordless. And I know which I'd use for a screw.

Wholeheartedly agreed though on not using power tools on or in a reel (with the exception of my home made power winder but thats different). I'm talking about wood or concrete screws here.

I have 3 old metal body 3/8" variable speed Craftsmans that I bought back in the '70s, and a similar Makita from the '90s. The Makita doesn't hold a candle, quality or power wise, to those Craftsmans. The Craftsman variable speeds are so precise power & torque wise that they don't even need a clutch to snug the screw head down flush. I used those things for 40 years hinging & hanging doors and they're still going strong. That's what buying quality in the first place and taking care of it does for you, you only have to buy things once.  :) 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

gstours

Yes this is very cool 8)    How we got from battery adapters to inkjet printers in two pages?
    :d