My adventure in soldering rings.....

Started by pjstevko, January 15, 2024, 04:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Ok it's been a while since I've asked a really dumb question. Time to reset that clock. Sorry to use this thread.

Do people also solder these types of rings? In my mind that seems like it would be really strong. Am I crazy here?

PJ it's been awesome watching you aquire this new skill. Scarily it's leading me to wonder if I can learn this sorcery.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

pjstevko

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on February 08, 2024, 04:20:11 AMOk it's been a while since I've asked a really dumb question. Time to reset that clock. Sorry to use this thread.

Do people also solder these types of rings? In my mind that seems like it would be really strong. Am I crazy here?

PJ it's been awesome watching you aquire this new skill. Scarily it's leading me to wonder if I can learn this sorcery.

There's no need to solder a split ring because you can buy extra strong split rings. But you can solder a ring to that hook and lure...

I appreciate your kind words but it's not too hard to learn. Just take a little practice

Bryan Young

@JasonGotaProblem ive soldered split rings before. It depends on the size of the lure and what I'm fishing for. For small game like trout, no but for Bluefin Tuna, I've soldered split rings for the added assurance that the spit ring will not separate.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jurelometer

Those look great PJ!

What did you do different?

-J

thorhammer

pjstevko

Quote from: jurelometer on February 08, 2024, 07:56:52 AMThose look great PJ!

What did you do different?

-J

I used minimal flux, waited a few extra seconds for it to burn off completely and then added the silver just as the ends of the ring were turning red.....

pjstevko

Had to break out the soldering kit today to add a couple rings to the very small eyelets on the bottom of a couple tungsten jigs.  Attached are pics of the soldering results,  let me know what you think....

Pj

Bill B

I'd fish those.  Looks really good brother.
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

pjstevko

Keta

Nice!  Good flow and plenty strong but a bit too much solder. 

Are you using the special order thin silver solder Bryan has?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

pjstevko

Quote from: Keta on June 11, 2024, 10:23:43 PMNice!  Good flow and plenty strong but a bit too much solder. 

Are you using the special order thin silver solder Bryan has?

Yes I bought the kit from Bryan and used the thinner silver wire with the white flux

Keta

OK, nothing wrong with your work but try to use a bit less solder.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

pjstevko

Quote from: Keta on June 12, 2024, 12:26:22 AMOK, nothing wrong with your work but try to use a bit less solder.

Appreciate the tip

oc1

If you use the sheet solder, a tiny square can be cut off and set on top of the flux paste over the crack.  It will sort of stick there and melt into the crack when the temperature is right.  It makes it easy to apply just the right amount of solder and minimize burnishing.  It's what jewelers do.  Just be careful not to blow the piece of solder off with the torch.

David Hall

tried and tried but I never have been successful at it, its my shaky hands that does me in, just as I go to hit the ring with the solder my hand starts shaking and its suddenly every man for himself.