Can you mention NLG1's by brand...

Akfish
Good guide for the future simplified and direct

Midway Tommy

Quote from: bluesnart on January 19, 2024, 05:41:51 PMJurelometer

Akfish

You can do a NLGI 1 search and many options will pop up, one of which is Super Lube. That's why so many people have switched to it, especially for freshwater, but it is still works great for saltwater, since I rebrought it up and pushed it to the forum's attention a few years back.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jurelometer

Quote from: bluesnart on January 19, 2024, 05:41:51 PMJurelometer

Akfish

Most of the manufacturers offer a range of thicknesses.  It is a harder to find the thinner grades in consumer sized packaging.

I am a fan of Super Lube.  Synthetic, safe for incidental food contact, doesn't separate easily, inexpensive. What's not to love. It is offered in a range of thicknesses, and with a high dropping point temp, and a PTFE additive, the NLGI 2 can be used a drag grease. Super Lube offers the product in oil form without any thickener.  It might be worth it to check with them to see if it can be combined with the NLGI 2 for custom thinning in small quantities. Some spinning reel guys are pretty finicky :)

For the old school crowd, I believe that Cal's purple grease is NLGI 1.

-J

bluesnart

Gonna check that out...the Cals idea sounds like a good option...Super Lube in smaller sizes at that thickness is harder to find but I'd like to stay with synthetic...don't want to overthink any of these issues...takes the fun out of it for me if it becomes to technical...thanks you all
Juan

Midway Tommy

Juan,

Super Lube 3oz tubes are found just about everywhere. Almost every Home Improvement, Hardware Store, etc., even Harbor Freight carries them, as does Amazon & daBay.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jurelometer

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 20, 2024, 12:47:17 AMJuan,

Super Lube 3oz tubes are found just about everywhere. Almost every Home Improvement, Hardware Store, etc., even Harbor Freight carries them, as does Amazon & daBay.

NLGI 2 Super Lube is easy to find.  The NLGI 1 is scarcer, and I think if you want something more than a 6cc syringe, you have to jump up to 14 oz.

Here's one place that I have used:

https://www.zoro.com/super-lube-multipurpose-synthetic-grease-h1-food-grade-nlgi-grade-1-141-oz-411501

$USD 17.50 for 14 oz.  I buy from Zoro occasionally- they have free shipping at $50. if I am a bit short on an order, I top off with some PC brand epoxies. Can never have too much epoxy.

One measly ounce of Cal's purple goes for about $9 USD.  One ounce too little, 14 oz, too much :)

-J

bluesnart

Just read a post by Alan...discussed the Cals purple grease...he mentions that it's thinner then the tan...another post mentions how it works better on light spinners...the 14oz super lube rated at GNLI 1 is much more then I need...gonna do a little more research...but I'm leaning towards the purple Cal's

bluesnart

Also, I dug around and found a tube of Super Lube I used on my direct drive reels...

alantani

Quote from: akfish on January 19, 2024, 01:59:50 AMSimple answer: Grease on things that move slowly or don't move at all; oil on things that move rapidly.

that!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jurelometer

FYI:

Just got some info from Super Lube.  They say that you can mix their oil product with their NLGI 2 grease to thin to your preference.  This is a nice option as you don't have to deal with compatibility issues.  More on the specific products to combine here:

https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,38018.0.html

-J

bluesnart

I agree with this approach and product and in fact have both the lube and the oil...although I've never tried to mix them on purpose...great information juelometer...gonna give this a try...now where did I leave that oil!!!
Juan