new to the board

Started by 4baja, March 13, 2012, 01:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nessie Hunter

Nice Pic..  That is a Squid right???

I have the Beak of one I caught in Cabo mounted on a plaque..   Cool..
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Dominick

Quote from: Nessie Hunter on March 16, 2012, 05:21:49 PM
Nice Pic..  That is a Squid right???

I have the Beak of one I caught in Cabo mounted on a plaque..   Cool..
Frank: Post a picture of it, please.  I'm going to try to catch one.  Some guy told me that when the boat is stopped and someone else is fighting a fish to go to the front of the boat and drop a squid jig down to the bottom then come up 20 or 30 feet and jig the rod up and down.  He says you can catch squid anytime that way.  I'm talking about the cabo area.  Does any of this sound right?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Panama

Quote from: 4baja on March 13, 2012, 09:12:40 PM
yea ive had a place in baja for ten years and really into fishing yellowtail. sea of cortez bay of la is the place.
I set fishing Cortez on the to do list for this year.  Any suggestions?

Anthony
Get on the water, Man!!!

Nessie Hunter

Just snapped a couple of quick pics....

We had the Panga Capt stop at a spot for Squid, for bait that Morning...
They are in many spots but some are better then others..
Just dropped a Iron down and jigged till it stopped, then cranked & cranked..
They eat anything!!!!  lol   

Easy to pull the Jaw out & cut it off.  The process of getting just the Beak was touchy, it is held together with so much light muscle/flesh etc that it starts to fall apart.... 
Upper & Lower in the pics are just glued in place....
Not the best, but worked OK....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

wallacewt

thats awesome nessie,what did it weigh.
i got 1 last year and it weight 12 1/2lb
the skipper got 1 twice as big the same day
no matter how my wife cooked it,it was tough.
good bait though,we caught fish with it.

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: wallacewt on March 17, 2012, 06:04:48 PM
thats awesome nessie,what did it weigh.
i got 1 last year and it weight 12 1/2lb
the skipper got 1 twice as big the same day
no matter how my wife cooked it,it was tough.
good bait though,we caught fish with it.

No idea what it weighed, it was cut up to quick... lol
About 4/5 ft long, nice one (bait).  We lost a second one on the Iron.
All in about 10 min.....  Wham Bam, done. Lets go fish!!!  lol
Didnt have any Squid jigs, but dont need them either. 
Just keep tension on it and they stay hooked...

I have heard they are good eating if Filleted right, then pounded/tenderized before cooking to soften them up???   Never eaten any myself.....

That was a bad day fishing, we didnt catch squat..   
1 small YFT about 10#..

WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

wallacewt

we dont get humboldt in oz to my knowledge.
read where they have become a real menance in some places.

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: wallacewt on March 18, 2012, 03:27:35 AM
we dont get humboldt in oz to my knowledge.
read where they have become a real menance in some places.

Yes that true..   
They run up the Calif coast at times and decimate the fish populations...
Very bad Juju!!!!
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Dominick

Quote from: Panama on March 17, 2012, 01:42:40 AM
Quote from: 4baja on March 13, 2012, 09:12:40 PM
yea ive had a place in baja for ten years and really into fishing yellowtail. sea of cortez bay of la is the place.
I set fishing Cortez on the to do list for this year.  Any suggestions?

Anthony
Anthony:  Check out this link.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2530.0  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dominick

Frank:  Cool wall hanging.  Maybe our Hawaiian friends on this sight will weigh in on this post.  If you ever see abalone style calamari on a menu it is the Humboldt squid that has been tenderized.  When cooked quickly wiith light flour and egg batter it is a delicious tasting dish.  Years ago on a trip to Hawaii I remarked that it looked like every back yard in Hawaii had one of those old fashion clothes washers with the wringer across the top.  I was told that that was used exclusively for agitating octopuss and squid to tenderize them.  It seems that the agitation for a period of time got the fibrous flesh to loosen and get tender.  Hawaiians know their stuff when it comes to fish.  Bryan, Makule, Kamuela what do you know about this?  Dominick