4 hours fishing/20 mins catching

Started by the rockfish ninja, March 18, 2024, 02:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

the rockfish ninja

Haven't been out on water or on the shoreline past couple years due to physical limitations, but doing slightly better this years so I gave it a whirl while waiting for the boat season to open.

Went down to my secret shore spot for some lure throwing to see if any rockfish or Lings wanted to play. Started out a few hours B4 sunset (which coincided with high tide), and I was working hard for hours... nothing, nada, not even a nibble. Was getting discouraged and starting to think I was just out here for the 4 hour rockhopping workout and stop for takeout on the way home. As the sun went down behind the hills and it was starting to darken up I figured I'd give that one last boulder to cast from a shot. Wham! Bam! after 4 hours of nothing, 20 mins of hits on every cast, going at my jerk bait like a pack of dogs, landed a dozen, then like a light switch the bite abruptly ended.

Kept one fat slug of a Gopher RF, threw him on ice, took it home, stuffed with onions & red pepper, nothing beats a fish so fresh it was swimming an hour ago.

Gear:
Daiwa Lexa 300
St Croix musky rod
Zoom Jerk shad
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Brewcrafter

JasonGotaProblem

Better than 4hrs fishing 0 minutes catching.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Gfish

Cool!
I've had similar experiences with Black Rockfish; a feeding school moves in, I get a few, then they move-on. Never a dozen though. Sounds like great fun!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

Nice!!  Gophers are underrated for eating, they're delicious
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

Reeltyme

Love those "last cast" stories! Looks like you scored nicely!

steelfish

Good to see you back in action amigo.

Thats a nice fish fo'sure
The Baja Guy

Crab Pot

Nice, any "worthy of keeping" Hard-Head off the beach (or boulders) is a nice and rare catch.

Gon-a-have-ta start getting my fish gilled and scaled because some of the photos ya'all post are mouth watering!

Gopher's and Copper's are great table fair for the unknowing!

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.