Chasing dogtooth tuna in Vanuatu

Started by redsetta, March 06, 2024, 01:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

On a somewhat related topic the US coast guard is patrolling those islands and is cracking down on illegal fishing there. I guess they've been somewhat successful p
Do what you can with that you have where you are

boon

Epic trip mate. Well done. YFT on topwater, that's great stuff - we had a crack at the same in New Caledonia over christmas, however whilst it was an incredibly beautiful place the fishing was dead slow  :fish

akfish

Did you eat any of the dogtooth tuna? How is it? Does it compare to yellowfin? bluefin? albacore?
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

redsetta

Thanks Logan - it's definitely at the top of the best-ever list.
Am wondering where to from here though! :-\
(Champagne problems!)
Maybe the Chesterfields? One of my surgeons has been there a couple times and the stories he tells inspire both awe and fear.
Sorry to hear New Cal didn't produce.
An amazing place to spend some time though, so I hope there were some other highlights?

Hi Bill - yes, all the pelagics went to the kitchen and were doled out to staff and locals, as well as being served at dinner to the fishos/guests.
We had dogtooth sashimi, which was light and delicate - 'melt in the mouth', but really mild in flavour.
Not a patch on yellowfin sashimi, which we also had one night, but still very much appreciated!
There's a lot of ciguatera in Vanuatu - particularly at present, for some reason - so resident fish like GT, coral trout etc were never on the menu...
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Crab Pot

I'd never even heard of a Dogtooth Tuna before.

Wouldn't want to Lip one of those!

Thanks for sharing,

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Cor

I can,t even describe to you how this excites me.   Any game fish after my lure sometimes sets my knees wobbling.   For years Yellowfin tuna have been our prime target and we only get them occasionally.    Sight casting at them often goes something like "YES please take it, NO NO rather not you too big". :o
The heaviest casting tackle I can use is also 9 ft PE8 but I do not want to hook Tuna over 50 KG.

I once hooked and we landed one of 70 kg on a light 9 ft Yellowtail rod with a Tranx 500.   We had to take turns on the rod.   The Tranx got some damage to the idler gear but otherwise survived.

You absolutely need assistance from the boat to achieve that.

Thanks for sharing!
Cornelis

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

redsetta

Jeez Cornelis - a 70kg yellowfin on a Tranx?!
That's epic.
I'd have to agree though, a boat would be required!
When the first one hit the PE3 gear, it felt like there was nothing I could do but watch the spool empty.
Was heartbroken when it broke off, but I focused on being grateful for even having the experience.
Next thing ya know, the universe gave me another shot...

Hey Daron, haven't caught up in ages - hope you've been keeping well!
All the best lads

day0ne

Quote from: redsetta on March 06, 2024, 01:48:06 AMTaking a yellowfin on topwater has been a life goal for some time, but I really didn't think it was a possiblity, given how rarely I've ever heard it happening. Now I had one on, I'd totally underestimated how much leverage a good fish can put on you when you're using a 9ft popper rod!

Taking a YFT on poppers is one of the common ways of fishing for them in the Gulf of Mexico. However, using a 9 ft rod isn't common or recommended. I actually prefer casting a lure such as a Halco 130 for GOM tuna. Halco's are a mainstay in the Gulf.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

redsetta

That's good to know David - thanks for the insight.
I take it you sight cast for them in workups?

day0ne

Quote from: redsetta on March 28, 2024, 12:48:48 AMThat's good to know David - thanks for the insight.
I take it you sight cast for them in workups?

Sometimes sight casting but more often blind casting around floating oil rigs in very deep water (3000-9000 feet), usually at night.

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

redsetta

sciaenops

Damn what a trip. Better you than me on that pig yft on the long popper rod. They do that in Panama too. I've been considering Fiji as a bucket list expedition for reef jigging & a shot at dogtooth so thanks for sharing another option!

whalebreath

Quote from: akfish on March 14, 2024, 12:41:28 AMDid you eat any of the dogtooth tuna? How is it? Does it compare to yellowfin? bluefin? albacore?
Love my Dogtooth Sashimi!

This is a Tongan fish-or was-much like Albacore but not as dense.

Jim Fujitani

Justin,

Thanks for the write up and a successful trip.

I'll probably never make it to Vanuatu, but your report took me there!