Fin Nor Ahab 8 and 12

Started by Boat, March 21, 2024, 04:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boat

Hello everyone, I have a set of Ahabs in the 8 and 12 sizes. Can the cork drag washer be replaced with Carbontex? I didn't see anything on the Smooth Drag site. Thanks very much.

alantani

it's a nightmare.  not sure if anyone here has any practice at it.  the thickness of the carbon fiber is different than that cork, so you might have spacing issues.  you would have to chisel off the cork, then clean the surface of the pressure plate, cut the carbon fiber washer from a sheet, epoxy it on and hope the spacing is ok.  not sure who here would be up to the task.  it's asking alot.  it's probably a 1 week project.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Boat

Ouch!
Thanks for the input Alan. I think I'll stay with the original. It's not broke so don't fix it.

Donnyboat

maybe take measurements of your, drag washers & old canvas washer, then you can work out how thick, your CF needs to be, you may have to stick two CF washers together with epoxy, to make up the correct thickness, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

JasonGotaProblem

I'll do it. At an hourly rate.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Reeltyme

I fish with both an 8 and a 12. Haven't had a bit of a problem with the cork drags. Changing to the carbon drag might or might not be a problem, haven't considered it before but check the distance of travel on the spool skirt to see if it can accommodate a thinner drag washer. It could also affect line stack on the spool. Good luck either way!