Old Penn's Still Rock

Started by slugmeister, March 21, 2024, 11:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slugmeister

Oh, I see now. So originally the 714 and 716 were one body size, and the 710 and 712 were the larger body. I know most, if not all the internals of a 710 and 712 swap, and the difference is the top end with the spool, rotor, and whatever else for the line capacity. Is this the same case for the 714 and 716? It is the 720 and 722 that is the odd duck, when it came out almost a decade later. It is a middle size, some corners cut, lower cost everymans reel. If you take away those, then the numbering makes sense, the bigger the number, the smaller the line capacity. Of course I'm ignoring the left handed versions like a 711 or 713, but I can't imagine there's much difference with them internally. I still think it's odd there is such a huge leap in size between a 710/712 and the 706/704.

So it appears the 700 (which I've heard very little about), came out at the same time as the 704 in 1966. Both appear to have identical line capacity, same gear ratio, same bail setup. So what was the purpose of the 700, or why did the 704 go on, and the 700 get discontinued?

Dang it, now I want to add a 714 to the collection.

Gfish

I have one, but not for sale,... yet.
It's a Greenie, a nice med.-small spinner size. The lower 1/2 compares well to Quick Microlite, but (of course) the rotor & spool are larger. It's a shelfie, and if I were to start using it, I'd try'n change-out that stupid Teflon drag washer.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

slugmeister

Would anyone have a 710 aluminum spool laying around? I don't care about color.

slugmeister

Well, you guys just cost me some money. :d

I already had my 712z, but I'm not super excited about the very low bail which looks like it would be almost impossible to use bailess. Other than that it looks like a good reel.

Yesterday there was a 710 I just couldn't pass up, although it has a plastic spool. I didn't see a spool under $40 online, but then I saw a 710z for a price I couldn't pass up figuring I'll take the spool from that one, and resell it. After more reading on this forum I realized the 712 gears (4.1:1) fit in the 710 (3.6:1), plus I'm not as impressed with the bail on the 712 as I am the 710. I then found another 712z for a really cheap price. I am currently planning on swapping the gears between the two and keeping both the 710's. Assuming nothing major is wrong with them, I'm pretty sure I can make more money back from the 712z's than I paid. The 712z I already have cleaned up nice, and it's a good reel. The one I just bought looks rougher, but supposedly works otherwise. The 710z I just bought has some rougher paint, I might try stripping that and I like the bare aluminum look I've seen.

I would still be interested in buying an aluminum 710 spool if anyone has one, as long as it's cheaper than buying a third 710. I have plenty of 712 parts to trade for it. I'd trade a perfect working 712z for one.