Repair a bent rotating head/spool cup on a Finessa.

Started by Steve V., March 25, 2024, 05:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve V.

Fred,

I sent you a parts request through PM.

Thanks,

Steve

foakes

Like mentioned, I will send out a new complete spool today.

Will also include the correct under spool washers for your existing spool.

It can be easily salvaged and made usable by just chucking it up in a drill with a bolt, nuts, and washers —- then taking a little off of the lower lip using a fine file then some medium grit emory cloth or paper.

So you will have a back-up.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Steve V.

Quote from: foakes on March 26, 2024, 06:08:00 PMLike mentioned, I will send out a new complete spool today.

Will also include the correct under spool washers for your existing spool.

It can be easily salvaged and made usable by just chucking it up in a drill with a bolt, nuts, and washers —- then taking a little off of the lower lip using a fine file then some medium grit emory cloth or paper.

So you will have a back-up.

Best, Fred

Thanks!

oldmanjoe

Well for thing there is still a washer stuck to the bottom of the spool .
  The other thing is the corrosion between the spool and washer , the washer look like it is on a slant .      The rim of the spool look to be concentric , i do not see a hit or bend in the rim .
   I wonder if there is a drag washer in the spool top ,  maybe a picture ?
         Your spool and a clean bottom spool
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Gfish

Yeah that corrosion looks kinna bad. Could be the cause...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

It doesn't take much corrosion or crud on the bottom of the spool, inside the center hole or on or in the insert to put the spool on enough of a twist that to make it rub the rotor.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Steve V.

The spool has been thoroughly cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner and .38 cal brass brush down the middle. All related spool parts also cleaned. No other washers other than the one I showed. It still rubs. I will use Fred's method/parts to make it a backup spool. I will try it again when I get the reel cleaned and the new parts on it. Thanks everyone.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Steve V.

Donnyboat

Would there be a very slight, dent in the rotor, that it is rubbing on, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Steve V.

Quote from: Donnyboat on March 28, 2024, 11:10:09 PMWould there be a very slight, dent in the rotor, that it is rubbing on, good luck, cheers Don.

I believe it to be the fact that the spool does not sit flush on a counter. So, I believe the spool is slightly bent. Fred sent me the parts (thanks Fred) to rebuild the spool and then I'm going to chuck it up in my drill press and use his method to file away a smidge, repaint it, and use it as a backup spool. He also sent me a spool that works fine so there is no dent in the rotor.

Thanks for all of the input everyone!

Steve

Donnyboat

Thats good news, thanks for letting us know, now leave some fish for us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat