Spinfisher V irregular drag question

Started by jzumi, March 26, 2024, 05:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jzumi

Firstly, please be aware that I do not usually work on spinners and am certainly a beginner at it but I'll service one for my boat co-owner.

Anyway Spinfisher V 5500 cleaned up and regreased.  I didn't find anything amiss.  Impressive looking Slammer drag washers.  But after I got it all back together, the drag seems inconsistent.  At any given drag setting, it feels like you can pull line out and feel the resistance, but after a few pulls it feels like the resistance increases a bit even though you haven't changed the drag setting.

It happens at light drag, medium drag, and pretty heavy drag settings.

I hope it's something simple that I'm missing.  I certainly don't want my buddy to lose a fish due to my reel service...

Where should I begin?  Thanks!
John

Bryan Young

John,

I would check the order of the metal drag washers. The very last drag washer in the drag stack should not rotate with the spool. If it does, the drag washers are out of order.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jzumi

I'll check it out, Bryan. Thanks! Not looking forward to fiddling with the line keeper spring again, though... :ct

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 26, 2024, 06:33:32 PMJohn,

I would check the order of the metal drag washers. The very last drag washer in the drag stack should not rotate with the spool. If it does, the drag washers are out of order.

Bryan

jzumi

Well, I believe that I found the issue. Seems that I failed to tighten down the three itty bitty screws that hold down the drag cover and line holder spring.  Seems much better now.

Thanks for all the help.