Adam 113h custom insert Help need idea to cut custom Drag washers

Started by steelfish, March 27, 2024, 01:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

I got an Adam (3-sevens) 113h custom insert some weeks ago from Jason, I got from him some 114h upgrade parts for my 114h XN narrow frame as the 114h 3-sevens custom insert with drag washers and metal washers, SS sleeve and some other goods as you can see here https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,38126.0.html
he told me he had the same insert for the 113h but missing the keyed washers for it and only had 2 drag washers for the insert, I took it anyway thinking to found a way to make it work.

I have some different thickness keyed washers (factory size) for the 113h main gear, since I dont own a belt sander or anything alike I made a gig to spin a 113h sleeve with a cheapo drill, the metal keyed washers were installed on the sleeve and while the sleeve was spinning with the drill I used a hand file to reduce the diameter, it was a pretty tedious, long and slow job but after few hours (yes few hours  :-\  :'( ) I could reduce keyed washers to a smaller size which fit into the Custom Insert freely.
you can see some pictures of the job.

having 3 different thickness on the keyed washer will allow me to play with the fitting of the drag stack because I cant use any drag washer thinner than 1mm.

But now, Im stuck on thinking the best way to try to cut the notches on a 113h drag washer for at least 3 more drag washers and be able to use this drag insert probably on my ProGear 454 or 545 or maybe the 113hXN.

scissors are not a good option and a dremel cut wheel will make a mess and might not be uniform :-\ 

I think Adam said he used a waterjet company to cut his custom drag washers but its cost prohibitive to just make them cut 3-6 drag washers 

The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

steelfish

No, I dont have one, Im not much a handyman, probably my biggest tool is the drill in the picture  ::)
The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

:(  OK ..   Before I get you doing a lot of hand filing . I have to ask why the insert ?    It is smaller drag washers "surface wise "with carbon fiber ears that can shear under heavy drag .
      I think the stock set up is better .

If I was to make these washers . I would trace on paper the inside of the insert .  You need two washers that will fit the gear sleeve and have the outside diameter . Paste the paper template to the washer and file the profile .  Once done you can sandwich the carbon fiber in between the washers and file the carbon for the notches.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

steelfish

Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 27, 2024, 03:06:03 AM:(  OK ..   Before I get you doing a lot of hand filing . I have to ask why the insert ?    It is smaller drag washers "surface wise "with carbon fiber ears that can shear under heavy drag .
      I think the stock set up is better .

Im not the best to explain the benefits of that drag setup, but its pretty similar to the Versa-drag on the Baja Special reels, US senator, some other penn reels and I read Shimano Stella reels use something pretty similar too. the main idea is that when the carbon drag washers stay stationary then the two sides of the drag washer work instead of just one side as in the regular setup, Sal got 37# of drag using this same insert as you can see here  https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,12766.0.html  and here https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,12690.0.html

too bad Adam just left the building without notice and these inserts dont have any other place to supply and get the drag washers for them.
also, I like to work and mod things to make them work again (even with my lack of tools).

dont get me wrong, I also believe the regular senator drag setup is pretty good but I like to test and use anything that can improve the drag on my favorite reels, that said, I own and use on my reels: Bryan Young 7+1 113h drag kit, 5+1 sealine 400h drag kit, a Keta Octagon insert for the 113h and 112h, 5+1 newell 500 series drag kit.

The Baja Guy

jtwill98

You seemed to be handy at making a jig with the filing down the steel washers.

So perhaps you can create a jig with a rod to match the inner hole dimension of the fiber washer and place it on a block of wood.

Then place the uncut fiber washer on the rod and one of the cut washer over it as a stencil and using a leather punch to match the cutouts, punch holes into the uncut carbon washers.

Afterwards, you can use your current jig for filing the carbon washers down to size by placing the carbon washer between two steel washers and following the same procedure you performed for the steel washers 

It's hard to write up but I hope you get the gist of what I'm trying to convey. The holes become the cutouts.     

Leather punches can be found at Harbor Freight, Amazon and maybe your local hardware or feed store.