Ambassadeur brake block upgrade

Started by slugmeister, March 27, 2024, 04:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slugmeister

If it's on Youtube, can you share the title of the video? We should be able to find it.

As a quick update on the 6000, I put in the carbon fiber drag washers with Cals purple grease. They are noticeably smoother than the original's, but they are nowhere near as smooth as a modern 5500 with a multi-disc stack. It will do the job for what I need at least.

ExcessiveAngler

Oh my gosh, my post is gone again, what is happening? Short version: let's see if I can post a close up picture. I can pick the spool up by the axle, and twirl it back-and-forth in my fingers as quick as I would like!
And these brake blocks, are just not coming off of there. This is out of an old red 5000 with the drag clicker on top of the single drag washer, just like yours.

slugmeister

I think that's normal, at least mine is the same way. My 6000 uses a different style brake block, and I don't intend to mess with them.

slugmeister

Quote from: slugmeister on April 11, 2024, 11:10:07 PMIf it's on Youtube, can you share the title of the video? We should be able to find it.

As a quick update on the 6000, I put in the carbon fiber drag washers with Cals purple grease. They are noticeably smoother than the original's, but they are nowhere near as smooth as a modern 5500 with a multi-disc stack. It will do the job for what I need at least.

It turns out I was incorrect. I took the 6000 out and got into a fair number of northern pike. The drag on this reel is really bad even with the upgraded drag washers. I tried my best to make it better, greased the heck out of it, tried different spring washers. Nothing helped. It seems these reels are kinda sorta ok with like 2-3 pounds of drag, but over that they are so herky jerky they are basically unusable. It made it almost impossible to properly set the hook. I ended up having to crank mine down to where the drag was not even a factor it was just locked up solid. Too bad, I like the reel otherwise. I guess that's why I got if for free though.