Fishing License app for California

Started by reelynew, March 27, 2024, 05:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelynew

Never thought I'd hear fishing news on the radio, but California Fish and Wildlife has a new smartphone app to use as a proof of license.  Keeping the printed copy with me was not a chore, but this is a nice backup.

I already had a login with CDFW, which wasn't working with the app after I downloaded it.  I ended-up having to click on "create a new account" on the mobile app and I used the same email address as my CDFW account, which worked. 

Unfortunately, hunting licenses are not yet available but hopefully before the season starts this fall.

I guess California has finally come into the modern age.  I had been using my Florida app for sometime.

I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

Brewcrafter

This is cool news I will have to look into it.  I wonder if it will apply to report cards as well? - john

pjstevko

Welcome to 2010!

CA is a little late to the party with this but it is handy...

jurelometer

Quote from: Brewcrafter on March 27, 2024, 06:39:44 PMThis is cool news I will have to look into it.  I wonder if it will apply to report cards as well? - john

Nope.

https://wildlife.ca.gov/LicenseApp#603364107-if-i-am-using-the-cdfw-license-app-to-display-my-sport-fishing-license-am-i-required-to-carry-my-physical-sport-fishing-license-with-me

If you are engaged in sport fishing activities requiring a report card, the appropriate physical report card must be in your immediate possession.

Not sure about the value of this app other than a backup as the OP has noted.  Just another app/login/password to manage.  If you don't have a hard copy of your license on you, and your phone battery dies (or you forget your password), you are in violation.

-J

Midway Tommy

Quote from: jurelometer on March 27, 2024, 07:56:11 PMNot sure about the value of this app other than a backup as the OP has noted.  Just another app/login/password to manage.  If you don't have a hard copy of your license on you, and your phone battery dies (or you forget your password), you are in violation.

-J

Yep that's how it's worked in NE for quite a few years now, hunting, fishing & trapping, although, if you would happen to get a nice understanding CO, and remembered all your login info, he might look you up on his tablet/laptop and let you go.  :-X

That's why my wife & I have never indulged in that option. We just carry our hard copies along with us in the field & on the water.  ;)   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)