Hello from Long Island

Started by Uncle Zeke, March 28, 2024, 02:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Zeke

Hi, Was given a 114 senator & standup rod form what I gathered is from the 1970's. Reel seems to be taken care of,internals are good alittle discoloration on brass parts.
Great tutorials,going to change drag washers.
Thanks to all, Jimmy

happyhooker

Greetings, Unc, from Minnesota.  I lived a few years as a kid in North Babylon.  Mostly fond memories.

Frank

alantani

jim, if you have carbon fiber drag washers already, then they might not need to be changed.  just scrape off any crud with an old pocket knife to "raise the grain" and then slather on a little cal's pure teflon drag grease.  you should be good.  one extra thing that i do is to replace the hard washer under the main gear with another carbon fiber drag washer.  smoothdrag.com has these.  alternatively, you can use a #6-114 or #6-115 drag washer under the main gear and it will accomplish the same thing. 

please let us know if you come up with any problems or questions.  thanks and welcome!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

Greetings Uncle Zeke!
When I first came here, one of my reels was a mid-80's 114H II. Aluminum spool and bar frame. This was probably getting close to the peak for stock Senators, but I really like the improvement of the Penn aluminum 1/2 frame on some variants.
But, I was afraid to take-apart the bridge-plate, thinking I wouldn't be able to get whatever was behind there, back together. Then I found the tutorial for it. Took a bit of practice, then it became easy. A huge step for me.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Reeltyme

Greetings from Florida! Don't even worry about taking the thing apart. One of the easiest reels to work on. Built like a tank. Just reverse everything you take apart!
Cheers!
Randy McConnell
Reeltyme

foakes

Welcome aboard, Jimmy!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Brewcrafter

Welcome Zeke from the SoCal Inland Empire!  Senators are a great place to start; so many reels (both Penn and others) share the same basic architecture. - john

Uncle Zeke

Thanks everyone for the welcome.it has aluminum spool & thick drag washers.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Welcome Uncke Zeke.

That reel is a beast. If it has thick washers, you likely have 3 of those thick fiber washers. If so you should replace them with carbon fiber.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bill B

Jim good to have you here.  The 114H is a tank of a reel. Mysticparts.com has all the parts you need.  Besides drag washers a new handle know is all you need.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Midway Tommy

Welcome, Zeke, all the SW aficionados will take good care you.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)