Heddon Convertible 234.....need some help.

Started by Steve V., March 29, 2024, 04:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve V.

Hi everyone,

I just serviced a Heddon Convertible 234 and took pictures when I took it apart (Yay, I remembered). When I put it back together I can set the bail stopper to hold the bail open. When I release the bail and spin the spool the bail will not set again when I pull the bail arm over. The bail stopper does not go back out to engage the end piece on the bail arm. This reel came in a group of reels I bought online. I'm pretty sure I checked the bail before I took it apart. Now I'm wondering if I did. I looked at the schematic provided by festus (thanks festus) and I don't see any parts that are missing. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

oc1

There's a spring under the bail hinge (the arm that connects the bail wire to the rotor).  The spring may have to be pre-loaded before the bail hinge screw is tightened down.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=28048.0

Steve V.

Quote from: oc1 on March 29, 2024, 06:44:40 AMThere's a spring under the bail hinge (the arm that connects the bail wire to the rotor).  The spring may have to be pre-loaded before the bail hinge screw is tightened down.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=28048.0

Hi oc1,

I did that. I can lift the bail spring with my thumb and when I let go it springs back down. I can manually set the bail stopper when I put it all back together and it holds the bail in place. Then, when I rotate the handle the bail springs back in to place. If I try and set the bail for a cast after that, the bail stopper won't engage. It's not sticking out far enough. The bail stopper is in the same place as my before pictures. The bail stopper spring is under it in the correct position as far as I can tell.

Thanks,

Steve

Midway Tommy

Some photos would sure help in diagnosing the issue. Otherwise any suggestions are just guesswork.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Steve V.

Here it is with the bail closed.

1.jpg

Steve V.

This is what is not extending out to lock the bail wire in the open location.

Gfish

Yeah, so that cover plate underneath the rotor nut is maybe putting friction pressure on the bail "hold/release" part(the silver thingie with the 90 degree angle bend). If you grab that part and push it , does it move in and out freely when assembled?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

These are generally fairly easy reels to work on —- although they are attractive reels —- the lesser grade of material manufacturing selection —- leaves a little to be desired.

I have a complete shop manual of about 50-70 Heddon reels, schematics, and part numbers.

Here is the one for the 234.

My resort on this type of issue would be:

Carefully determine where the friction hang-up seems to be.

Make sure the slot, grooves, and function area are completely clean and smooth.

Make sure the bail-stopper spring is strong and not weak.

Using a jewelers file —- start with filing the stopper just a bit at a time where it seems to be hanging up.  Rounding slightly any sharp corners.

Drop or two of oil —- should be good to go.

So the parts to look at would be 19, 20, 28,& 29.

It is doubtful that the rotor could be screwed up —- but good to check for any burrs on the slide slot.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Steve V.

Quote from: Gfish on March 29, 2024, 04:15:43 PMYeah, so that cover plate underneath the rotor nut is maybe putting friction pressure on the bail "hold/release" part(the silver thingie with the 90 degree angle bend). If you grab that part and push it , does it move in and out freely when assembled?

It does move back in freely when I trip the bail wire. The problem is that it is then in too far in to "catch" the end piece on the bail wire to activate the bail spring again. Something should either hold it out or push it back out. I have tried flipping the flat silver piece under the spool cup nut over but it's almost dead flat and it does no good. I have serviced two of my Japan made Shakespeares, several Penns, and a Zebco Cardinal and they were no problem. It's almost like this reel is missing a part but I can't see it on the schematic.

Thanks

Steve V.

This bail stop has to have a way to push it back out in to the bail wire end piece but I have looked at the schematic and nothing is missing. I can usually figure something out when I fool with it long enough. I have looked at it and tried everything I know to try. If I install the stopper without the spool cup nut and flat piece I can move it back and forth as long as the bail wire end piece is in the right position. When the bail is closed the bail stop slides in and I'm back to square one. Does anyone know if the flat piece under the spool cup nut should actually have a bend in it? It looks flat in the schematic which mine is. Here's the pics of the stop engaged.

Steve V.

Why 28 & 29 Fred? I did have the reel all together and had the same issue. Shouldn't I be able to rotate the spool cup to trip the bail and then re-engage it by folding the bail wire back (without the reel put together)? The bail stop spring is strong. The bail stop sits very proud without that flat piece.

Thanks,

Steve

Midway Tommy

The bail trip cover should have a slight offset. Make sure that the offset is up, not down, and also make sure that the tang portion that covers the bail trip mechanism isn't slightly bent down, otherwise it can put binding pressure on the trip mechanism. Also, make sure you don't have grease slowing down movement. Synthetic oil lube or something like ArmorAll would be the best lubrication there.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Steve V.

Eureka!!!! I went back and looked at festus's pictures of his 234 that he serviced. I noticed that his spring went through the hole in the bail stop (pink circle). I actually had my spring mounted to the underside boss just to the right of that area (white circle). I moved the spring and now the reel works as it should. I'm going to make sure that I mount the "flat" piece as Midway Tommy said, and go back through and re-oil/grease the appropriate parts. I really do appreciate everyone's input!!!!! This is a great website. Now moving on to service my DQ 110N. All of these reels are for me and my family to use. One day my kids and six grand kids will have all they need to enjoy this great hobby of ours. The worst day fishing is better than just about any other day.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Brewcrafter

Congrats Steve!!!!  Sometimes it's a convoluted road but there is not much that the Ohana has not seen! - john