BFS Fishing Section?

Started by jgp12000, March 29, 2024, 01:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

My plastic worm weight preference has always been 1/8 oz and could throw it without Backlashes easily.It is nice to throw a 1/16 oz crappie jig on a Baitcaster,being right handed I got my 1st LH Baitcaster as a BFS reel,not having to change hands to reel is the biggest plus for me.

oc1

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 30, 2024, 03:01:08 AMAll jokes aside it's using a small baitcaster and an UL rod to throw light lures. It's attempting to take the very real notion that you get more hits on light tackle to the extreme. It's a lot of fun. But like anything new and exciting there's a lot of room to overpay

Oh.  We used to call that fishing with ultralight tackle.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: oc1 on March 30, 2024, 07:29:37 AMOh.  We used to call that fishing with ultralight tackle.
Thats also what I call it. But if I wanted to sell any of the stuff I use for that I know what 3 letters would be in the listing.
I was tempted to say "basically the way you already fish" but didn't think that would help anyone else.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: oc1 on March 30, 2024, 07:29:37 AM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 30, 2024, 03:01:08 AMAll jokes aside it's using a small baitcaster and an UL rod to throw light lures. It's attempting to take the very real notion that you get more hits on light tackle to the extreme. It's a lot of fun. But like anything new and exciting there's a lot of room to overpay

Oh.  We used to call that fishing with ultralight tackle.

Yes, sir I totally agree, and still do lol.
Really is a marketing ploy, just look at how much they get for some of the tuning parts over in Japan lol. They're getting crazy money. To each his own, I guess lol.
Sounds like they're just trying reinvent the wheel. But like everything, it's definitely peaked my interest into freshwater fishing more often again now. So that's a plus.
Time to go take a look in the dungeon!
I have a feeling, I was way ahead of the curve with the BFS thing, minus some fancy bearings and a ported spool lol.

jgp12000

I always try to find good stuff at low prices like most of us, and it's fun researching to a point . I got the blackmax NIB on eBay offering 30% less than asking for $37 total. Believe it or not Walmart had a BFS spool for 15 simoleons-free shipping with other consumables we needed.I got both hybrid ceramic spool bearings on Amazon fer $20.I would put it up against any big money BFS reel,but I am a rookie on the subject. It's pretty nice though, weighing in @ 7 oz after the mod.

ExcessiveAngler

Just went and weighed a couple of my vintage UL casting reels, that I could get to.
All stock, and no mods to any of them.
One of my favorites is a really old Ryobi VG-40, weighs 7.3 ounces with line, and no mods!
Then I weighed another old favorite, an Abu Garcia MX 200, comes in at 7.9 oz.
I was really shocked when I weighed an old narrow, black Abu Garcia royal Xpress ll round reel with graphite foot though!
Thought that would come in pretty heavy.
That came in at 8.3 oz. The spools on these little reels, are already super light, and shallow. Would like to experiment with one.
Guess next, I'll weigh the spools and see if I can't find a couple cheap ones somewhere, maybe even at Walmart, I have some gift cards there lol. I'm not sure if they even make the modified spools for some of these reels?
Guess we're gonna find out lol.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

boon

Quote from: MarkT on March 30, 2024, 03:18:57 AMI don't think that throwing very light lures (sub 1/4 oz?) on a baitcasters is really a specialized thing... maybe in fresh water, not in salty water. Certainly not deserving of a 'market'. I don't think I've thrown plastics on much less than a 1/4 oz lead heads/sinkers.

My good man, just wait until you discover the phenomenon that is "Aji" fishing. 1/20 oz jig heads. In the briny, even  :d

Naturally, they will tell you that you need a dedicated rod(s), reel(s), etc etc etc.

jgp12000

A friend gave me a Royal Express, it's in a tote now,just sitting,I think they were marketed thru BPS,made in Sweden.6.3 gears,pretty nice with a thumb bar.If you find a spool for RE please post I will mod that one also

JasonGotaProblem

Basically Fish (like) Steve

Ok I'll stop. I tell ya what though my BFS-style rod throws a small free line shrimp upwind like it's no big deal. I know that's not what it's meant for but I think I'm in love.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: jgp12000 on March 31, 2024, 09:55:40 AMA friend gave me a Royal Express, it's in a tote now,just sitting,I think they were marketed thru BPS,made in Sweden.6.3 gears,pretty nice with a thumb bar.If you find a spool for RE please post I will mod that one also

I do believe, have an old mini Bass Pro bc reel here also. But, you might confuse someone going back-and-forth and between BPS(bass Pro Shops) and the BFS lingo, in the thread lol. Guess we'll find out.
Well, I did do some searching and really couldn't find that much on my reels! So I might just be riding in the backseat for a little bit lol. Never heard of Bass Pro Shops marketing the black Abu royal Express's.
I do remember them having a spinning reel, called Royal express or something?
But I know for certain, that just about every other small Abu has been modified in someway by long distance tournament casters.
 Their spools are designed the same way, all ported out and super shallow. Except They take 13' rods and cast 1/2 oz leads, well over 100 yards in LD casting tournaments, using these tiny little bait casters. With super light mono. So, I'm gonna go check into that for information for some of the spools. Be great if we could search the spools up by dimensions.

alantani

hey, if it's something you guys are into, that's great!  and you know how we all love photos!!!! :d
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jgp12000

I found the article again the guy thought Cabela's sold them before they merged
With BPS?

oc1

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 31, 2024, 02:33:41 PMBasically Fish (like) Steve

The closest thing I have to BFS reels are these things:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/196313824597.

Where's the Aji section, anyway?

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: jgp12000 on March 31, 2024, 09:55:40 AMA friend gave me a Royal Express, it's in a tote now,just sitting,I think they were marketed thru BPS,made in Sweden.6.3 gears,pretty nice with a thumb bar.If you find a spool for RE please post I will mod that one also
Oh my gosh, my post disappeared, it's gone!
Somebody call the Waaambulance, waaa!😩.
Try this again with the shorter version.
Do you know what size your Abu RE is?
The narrowest one should be the 4600 size.
Then the next one up is the 5000/5600 and then the 6000/6600 size. Some of these, were also made in both configurations, with of without thumb bar.
Best part, you can, get the BFS spools for these royal express reels.
So if I can find a cheap spool, I'm going to order one, and test it against the OEM spool.