Penn Sailfisher 130

Started by UKChris1, April 13, 2024, 09:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKChris1

I've just acquired another of these lovely old reels. It looks to be in pretty decent condition, though I haven't torn it open yet. It certainly needs a full service.

The line looked doubtful and needed to go (I'd not normally use line of unknown vintage anyway), but apart from a couple of rough spots, halfway down was a join. Someone had simply taken the two ends and tide a simple overhand knot! Strength - almost none. But there was more... when I got to the end of the line, it simply pulled off the spool - it wasn't even knotted on!

Words fail me...

I'll try to take some pictures of the cleanup and service.

JasonGotaProblem

Someone wanted to display with line on it.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

PacRat

I always laugh when people try to claim line as a positive on the auction site. It's just more work for me to remove it. I never trust unknown line.

Reeltyme

Quote from: PacRat on April 13, 2024, 08:22:05 PMI always laugh when people try to claim line as a positive on the auction site. It's just more work for me to remove it. I never trust unknown line.

I totally agree. Old line is never a plus, just more work. I usually question when someone claims that a reel is "new, never used" yet has line on it. Yes it's possible they spooled it with line and never used it, but who's to know.

As for the knot half way through, hopefully it was for display purposes!

UKChris1

Indeed, who knows. I doubt it was a display reel, more likely just in the back of the cupboard. Anyway, the line will go to the local tackle shop line recycling bin.

The reel is now in bits and everything seems in good order, apart from some chrome loss on the bars, rings and reel seat. The spool is very clean - excellent. The drag set up is odd - all the metal washers are brass (and shiny) whilst all the brake washers are red fibre (one is broken, one is blackened with oil). I'll have to juggle with the fibre washers a bit to find replacements. Also, the spring washer is thin and I was expecting a slightly thicker one, or two thin ones. Anyway, I think once cleaned and back together this will be a nice 'user'.

Gfish

Wear on a spincaster pick-up pin, a spinner line roller or the levelwind guide are the only ways for me to tell about "new" or "never used" being BS. Been burned a few times on the BIG auction site. Some sellers could be ignorant, but a "maybe" or "looks" should be in the description, if they aren't sure.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

UKChris1

I understand you, but this reel was accurately described I'm glad to say, with no 'dodgy' photos hiding nasty surprises.

I did get a 9/0 a few years ago that was described as grubby and possibly rusty, though the photos looked as though it would be worthwhile buying it at the price asked. I met the seller in London and got the reel. It was dusty and the brown'rust' was simply dried grease oozing from the ports. Cleaned up and I doubt it had ever seen the sea. We were both happy.

thorhammer

Quote from: UKChris1 on April 15, 2024, 03:36:09 PMI understand you, but this reel was accurately described I'm glad to say, with no 'dodgy' photos hiding nasty surprises.

I did get a 9/0 a few years ago that was described as grubby and possibly rusty, though the photos looked as though it would be worthwhile buying it at the price asked. I met the seller in London and got the reel. It was dusty and the brown'rust' was simply dried grease oozing from the ports. Cleaned up and I doubt it had ever seen the sea. We were both happy.

Sometimes you get lucky, and oil and dust has just made a protective crust like cosmoline...