D-A-M Quick 265 Microlite — 7.8 Ounces of “Can Do”

Started by foakes, April 14, 2024, 04:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffG and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

foakes

The year was 1959.

The initials D.A.M. stand for 'Deutsche Angelgeräte Manufaktur' (i.e 'German Fishing Tackle Manufacturer').  The longtime company had been very successful with their spinning reels of various sizes.

And yet, one thing was missing from their line-up — and other tackle manufacturers were filling this void — a tiny ultralight spinning reel for freshwater species such as trout, bass, etc..

Anglers wanted these reels — North America was their target.

So, the D-A-M engineers were given their marching orders to come up with one.

These were 2nd & 3rd generation craftsmen — who to them, their products had to be of the highest quality — no shortcuts, no excuses — pride in every product produced.

The Master engineers only knew one way to design and produce reels — the best materials, durable for a lifetime, well thought out, well tested, and the results would speak for themselves.

So, where to start?

One of the most successful and durable spinning reels in their line-up, was the giant 270 Super that was primarily for Heavy-Duty saltwater applications.  This reels had been around since 1954.

They came up with the idea of shrinking this 21 ounce reel — down to a miniature version — using the exact same design and materials (Steel, Bronze, Aircraft-Grade Aluminum, Copper, & Brass).

Same engineering, same bronze on steel centered worm-drive gearing, same metal spool.  Even the red drag knob was metal.

Differences?  High speed at 1:5, double-supported main gear, at only 7.8 ounces.

Fits in the palm of your hand.

The 265 Microlite was not inexpensive in its day.  It cost over twice what the competition was attempting to offer.  At todays monetary conversion — these would be $300+ reels.  But knowing anglers snapped these up as quick as they could be shipped and offered to tackle and sportsman shops. 

These reels were not for everyone.  However, for an experienced angler, looking for a very lightweight spinning reel of superior lifetime quality & performance — these fit the bill very well.

Today, these reels are still operating capably, and will fish far above their intended target range.

I have had the good fortune to amass the largest selection of DQ parts that I know of anywhere in the world.  Maybe 450,000 parts from the early 50's through the late 80's.  All numbered and organized.

Over the years, I have serviced, restored, and built many of these reels for folks.

It has been a privilege.

Completed (6) 265 Microlite builds for (4) of our members over the last 2.5 weeks.  Got the last one done last night.

These reels never cease to both amaze and impress me in their engineering, function, features and durability.

Mounted on a lightweight Fenwick, Eagle-Claw, or Ugly-Stick rod at 5.3' to 6' — these are both a pleasure and a blast to fish.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Great post Fred! Got some info. for me in those manual pictures and now I have some history.

"2,1/4inches" of line retrieved per turn of the handle?!? That's gotta be a translation error.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Quote from: Gfish on April 14, 2024, 06:19:46 PMGreat post Fred! Got some info. for me in those manual pictures and now I have some history.

"2,1/4inches" of line retrieved per turn of the handle?!? That's gotta be a translation error.

You are correct, Gregg!

I noticed that also.

And things do get mixed up in translation.

I figured one of our sharp-eyed reel Mavens would immediately figure this out —- like Dave, Tommy, one of the Steve's, you, and others!

You were the first!

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

It is actually 21.4" per crank at full spool.

Which is impressive.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Gfish on April 14, 2024, 06:19:46 PMGreat post Fred! Got some info. for me in those manual pictures and now I have some history.

:)  Well they did get it some what right . The first wrap on a cork lined spool is 2 1/4 inch .
   Line retraction per crank revolution is approx. 53cm top of the spool [ 20.886 inches ]
  Details .   :d
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

happyhooker

There is just something about a product where corners weren't cut and pride of manufacture shows thru.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Paul's real big on calculating inches per turn but it's never really been anything I've ever cared about. It means more to bass guys so they can crank them in fast. Me, I prefer about a 5:1 gear ratio. I'm usually running the boat so it irritates the heck out of me when the other guy is using a really high speed reel. Most of time those guys have the fish at the side of the boat before I can put the motor in neutral, reel my line in and get the net ready.  >:(
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

scrinch

Is this the same size as the 110? Or the 220? Or somewhere in between?

foakes

Quote from: scrinch on April 16, 2024, 03:10:14 PMIs this the same size as the 110? Or the 220? Or somewhere in between?

Hi Rich —-

It is smaller than the 110, which is of course, smaller than the 220.

Surprisingly, the 220 & 110 have the same size frame and gear casing —- but the rotor and spool is larger on the 220.

Mechanically, the tiny 265 Microlite shares the same genes with the massive HD 270 Super —- and the next group of (7) DAM Quick reels are a different design inside & out.  This group includes the 110, 220, 221, 330, 331, 440, & 550.

The 265 was reverse engineered to just a shrunken down 270 — making the size and components into a true Microlite sized reel.

This is one of my main backpacking and day-hiking reels.

With 4 lb. Mono, a Fenwick or Eagle Claw 4 piece glass pack rod in a sock & case, a palm sized assortment of rooster tails, super-dupers, panther-martins, and other spinners, hooks, split shot, flies & bubbles —- I have a setup like this in the trailer, camper, and truck —- at all times, even if I am not planning on fishing (you never know).

While on a week long backpack trip into the Dinkey Wilderness a few years ago — I had a 265 and a 6' Fenwick propped up on a boulder with a nightcrawler for bait.

This was a pair of tiny lakes up a narrow, rocky canyon.  Rainbow & Easternbrook.

A 3 lb. Rainbow gulped the bait and took the entire rod and reel into the water.  I was able to quickly retrieve it — after getting wet up to my waist — and landed the trout.  The little 265 just kept catching maybe over a 100 fish in the next 6 days.  I serviced it a few weeks later — no sign of water intrusion or issues of any kind.

These are not expensive reels —- just top quality and way ahead of their time.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

JeffG

I love these posts you do Fred! Very insightful and educating. You should do a few videos on how you work your magic so others can learn and pass along the knowledge. I've said it many times these are my favorite old ultralight reels!

Thanks
Jeff

Phage

I have a 110 that has a 265 spool on it. I bought it that way before I found this site. It would drag a bit on the head of the reel when I got it, but, I would guess it was used for decades in that condition. I bought a pair of 110 old style reels to play with last summer.
I turned the edge of the spool down, just a bit, and other than it is a bit more difficult to remove than a 110 spool, it works just fine.
These are nice little reels. I have just a pair of old style 110s, and I'll give them some use this year.

Ted
I have more (insert personal weakness, here)  than I need, but, less than I want.

foakes

Quote from: Phage on April 21, 2024, 12:40:48 AMI have a 110 that has a 265 spool on it. I bought it that way before I found this site. It would drag a bit on the head of the reel when I got it, but, I would guess it was used for decades in that condition. I bought a pair of 110 old style reels to play with last summer.
I turned the edge of the spool down, just a bit, and other than it is a bit more difficult to remove than a 110 spool, it works just fine.
These are nice little reels. I have just a pair of old style 110s, and I'll give them some use this year.

Ted

Good work, Ted!

If you also switch out the spindles & adjust (add an extra) the underspool Resistex washer —- the spool will be easy to install and remove and it won't catch on the lower edge.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Rancanfish

Fred, is it still possible to get a like new 265 assembled at this late date?  If so PM my costs. TY, Randy.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

foakes

--------

Fred O.

jgp12000

I have 2-265s,one mounted on a Fenwick Eagle & one put away.Fred,you are making me want another,they are great reels!Every collection needs one or more...

BocaSnook1

Fred,

If you still have any 265 Microlites in stock I would like to purchase one as well.  It will be used for mountain trout fishing here in North Carolina and panfish in South Florida.

Thanks!

Tad