Okuma Makaira 80WII free sppol

Started by huckgrey1, April 26, 2024, 04:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huckgrey1

Hello,

Took apart and rebuilt a 80WII last night (twice), for the life of me I cannot get it to free spool. Everything else works drag level, clicker, 2 speed etc, but it will not free up the spool when the lever is set to free spool. Noticed tightening the frame screws makes it worse and loosening them allows some free spool although not as smooth and free as it should be.   

Any trouble shooting ideas appreciated before I regroup and go back in.
Thank you

gary760

I am guessing you took the drag assembly apart. I think you may have put the two steel drag plates that sandwich the carbon drag plate back together incorrectly ( they are held together by a thin circlip) this causes the carbon gray plate to be held tightly by the two steel plates as the gap between them is reduced.
Take them apart and you may find the the one that is held in place by the circle is upside down. You will see it fits much nicer when you turn it upside down and the carbon drag plate now has space to move giving free spool. ( You are not the first person to do this - I was that soldier)
Regards Gary

gary760

There are a few auto correction induced errors in my post above
"Grey plate" should be carbon drag plate. "circle" should be circlip.
Note the steel drag plate that I suspect is upside down is the one with the square hole in it.
Took me ages to work out what I had done wrong as it's very difficult to see the error until you take the drag plate assembly apart