Been away a while but back at it. frankenreel Z special

Started by WVHillbilly, April 15, 2024, 11:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WVHillbilly

Love these lil olympic reels. Have many. Decided to removed levelwind, turn a custom brass replacement, carbontex drags, power handle, polished bushings. These are mostly stainless steel internally and externally. Casts like a monsta. Have 2 more to complete. Have been waiting on brass rod stock for levelwind replacement bar. Extremely happy with the outcome.  :d
Feeshin is Feeshin

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Crab Pot

Looks awesome!

I inherited a brand new milling machine and can't wait to "dabble" with metal stock.

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

oldmanjoe

:) Glad to see you posting again , was wondering how you were doing .  looking to see more of your work.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Donnyboat

Yes I convert a lot of line level reels with SSteel or brass, rod, and lets face it most of tthe narrow reels dont need a line level, most of the old Olympic overhead reels are a little heavy, but they last forever, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oc1

Nice one WV.

And, I agree Donny.  They were the Penn/OC knockoffs of their day, but Olympic didn't scrimp at all on materials or workmanship.  They had some decent embossed side plates too.

The only ones we used to see had been carried back from Japan by guys stationed there.  In that way, they were like the Mayflower rod kits.

WVHillbilly

Quote from: Crab Pot on April 16, 2024, 12:24:56 AMLooks awesome!

I inherited a brand new milling machine and can't wait to "dabble" with metal stock.

Steve

#2 complete. The maroon and brass looks pimpy.  ;D
Good luck with your new mill. All this is fun and a learning experience. In many ways it will help you appreciate the original designers more than maybe you have in the past. I like to make things the way I want them. I have no intention on turning any of this into a "job". Besides ... I hide from the wife in my shop.
Feeshin is Feeshin

thorhammer

Crab Pot

Quote from: WVHillbilly on April 16, 2024, 01:28:59 PM

Steve

I have never milled metal WVHillbilly, I may put my intinal focus on lure making before I get too technical.

But guys like you motivate me!

Steve

Good luck with your new mill. All this is fun and a learning experience. In many ways it will help you appreciate the original designers more than maybe you have in the past. I like to make things the way I want them. I have no intention on turning any of this into a "job". Besides ... I hide from the wife in my shop.
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

thorhammer

Quote from: Crab Pot on April 17, 2024, 01:47:42 AM
Quote from: WVHillbilly on April 16, 2024, 01:28:59 PM

Steve

NOPE. It occurred to me what I need when you asked for the spool. Nothing then, but since you got a mill, how about whip us up some 980 plates and frames :)

Hillbilly did a couple frames as I recall for the Olympics.

I have never milled metal WVHillbilly, I may put my intinal focus on lure making before I get too technical.

But guys like you motivate me!

Steve