Tranx roller clutch

Started by mike1010, April 28, 2024, 06:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike1010

I'm servicing a buddy's 300.  Has anybody replaced one of the roller clutches?  Is it just the usual push-it-out-with-a-socket exercise, or is there some voodoo involved.  I ask because the schematic for the 300 cautions that the part is "not replaceable by the customer."  Thanks for any guidance.

--Mike

akfish

I believe the roller clutch is press fit so that it's tricky to remove the old one and stick in the new one. You need to get socket (or something else) that fits the shaft so you can punch out the old bearing. But only if you need to replace it. Any chance you can clean the old one so you don't need to replace it?
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

JasonGotaProblem

The other idea if you're feeling tedious is to replace all the inner components (springs and rollers) Shimano uses metal spring ARs so that's actually an option if cleaning isn't.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

mike1010

Quote from: akfish on April 28, 2024, 11:23:28 PMI believe the roller clutch is press fit so that it's tricky to remove the old one and stick in the new one. You need to get socket (or something else) that fits the shaft so you can punch out the old bearing. But only if you need to replace it. Any chance you can clean the old one so you don't need to replace it?
Thanks.  This bearing is pretty well shot.  The reel had millimeters (really) of salt caked inside it, and the bearings were dry.  I don't know how that much salt buildup could happen.  It's impressive that the reel worked at all.  I once replaced a clutch in a Calcutta without major problems, so that's probably what I will do.

mike1010

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on April 29, 2024, 04:03:15 AMThe other idea if you're feeling tedious is to replace all the inner components (springs and rollers) Shimano uses metal spring ARs so that's actually an option if cleaning isn't.
I once tried that on another reel, and learned that it is above the pay grade of my hands and eyes, but thanks for the suggestion.