Daiwa 8300 drag parts needed

Started by Steve V., April 17, 2024, 01:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve V.

Hello,

I acquired a Daiwa 8300 and when I serviced it I found that some drag parts were missing, according to the knob graphic. The reel has three drag parts plus the retainer spring. The graphic on the knob shows 6 parts. The three parts with the spring seem to fit just right and I don't know that three more could fit. Can someone shed some light on this please. Here is what it came with.

Thanks,

Steve

oldmanjoe

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=31907.0

https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Daiwa/Spinning/DAIWA%20SPINNING%208350HRL(81-63).pdf
               Did you have any drag before you took it apart ?     Make sure the other parts are not stuck in the spool well .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Steve V.

Hi oldmanjoe,

I didn't check the drag. I got the reel in a group of reels and it was encrusted with dirt to the point that I soaked it in dawn and scrubbed the outside before I took it apart. The inside wasn't much better. The link you provided to that other reel I have seen and he seems to have the same three parts. The graphic on my knob shows 6 pieces. Maybe I have the wrong knob since the three parts seem to fit in there nice and tight with the spring clip installed. When I put some line on it I'll test the drag. The schematic you provided is a different reel. Same series but the anti-reverse lever is in a different spot. Mine still has the 8300 side plate badge so I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Here's what I have.

Thanks,

Steve

Gfish

Interesting. Usually, it's friction washer on the bottom, keyed metal washer, friction washer, eared metal washer, friction w., then last is a keyed metal washer on top.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

OhReely

Seems if half the drag stack was missing the remaining three would be loose in the spool. The order looks right if the bottom of the drag channel in the spool is not flat/smooth. Maybe it's a knob from a different model reel.

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare