Some fun we had in Alaska part. 11.

Started by gstours, April 17, 2024, 02:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

As a friend some more video is being made public for the Forum.   :fish

11 seconds.  Just a blip of a friend on a boat with another friend.  At the time I grabbed the go pro and shot this.  Now its just a memory that was the good old days.   Live you life as full as you can, butt don't t
   7min.  The Banax 12 v is in use here and its capable of some pretty good fish.  Like many electric reels the motor runs at a determined speed constantly and the drag setting is adjusted to how much slipping is desired.  For fighting medium and smaller fish the reel pulls in line fairly quickly.  For heavier fish more than the cranking power its just a matter of pumping the rod down, then lifting and lowering to allow the motor to run thru the drag washers and then pick up line.
  My eventual beef was its always turning the drag washers when the line is going out or unable to pick up line by its cranking its just burning against the drag washers/disks.
   Usually when the fish is nearly to the surface the motor is turned off and normal cranking is done like a conventional reel.   Ken was always skeptical of my toy,  butt it sure caught its share of medium sized halibuts.   Here is shown the care Ken would give to save the cheek mead that he desired for some dishes.  The equestrian rope was dayviewed here.   We had fun with our ideas and techniques and gear differences.

-  7.5 min.   Here,s a somewhat rare summer day in Southeast Alaska near the Gulf.   The water was like a pond dunging the filming.  Ken watches and gets a good shot with the harpoon butt it looks like the fish dove away,   Generally we hold the harpoon rope/line to snub the forces of the fish tearing out the toggle.  Butt it in the film he missed.   That was fun even for me to watch. 
  we kept some earlier fish thinking the fishing was slow/bad and were hoping for a good one for the ride home.   Sometimes the wait is worth it,  especially when the weather was nice, with no wind, and knowing going home just means more work.   Always Fun Fishing.  Thanks.  Gst.

3 min.  A short clip of a good day fishing halibuts with Ken on the Maiko.   We were in a race of the Mother Tide wanting to flush us out and end our day ....  We get lucky and find another good one and heres the net result of a patient fisherguy.   The aged red bait cooler had a smile on and winked letting me know it was not just luck.  The red cooler still lives on to help me when it can.
  One thing for sure Ken never was a good helper, never showing tiredness or much pain until the bitter end..... and promoted doing a good job when processing fish.  He also prompted me to a higher standard of being a good person.   I owe him........

https://youtu.be/PH52flxjums?si=i6GAONvqvsS8sGZF    UNAVAILABLE // A nice king salmon we got fishing together back a while.   Its in the winter when the kings are scattered and feeding aimlessly on what they can find.  Some stay in the huge gulf of Alaska, some wander around the shoreline where the sunlight promotes bait to exist and grow.
  We are using artificial plugs that spin and rotate slowly much like an injured herring behind a diver/planer and trolling along in hopes of......  We get a slam and scream on my rod and the headcam is worn capturing what we can to share.   See what you think?  These fish have a smell that is their own.   A welcome smilee  smell.   Thanks .........

https://youtu.be/qrNrjhOZECs?si=22u91M95W3sLLkZj   30 seconds.  Ken gets his first king salmon trolling on the Maiko.  Sometimes there's a scramble with the kicker, moving chairs,  and getting the net and the catching the fight does not get recorded.   But heres what we did get,  a smile,  happy spirits and some good eating planned ......

2 min,  A short clip of a halibut we got up bay a ways while anchored during the tide lull.   We always tried to help each other to have fun.
  Ken was a great guy,  I wish we could do this again.   

118.  https://youtu.be/hpq9X6ohNts?si=ZjTLhXR-cRNKIivF  a short clip of Ken on the Maiko during a shrimp trip to check some shrimp pots.   We went past some areas where we had trolled before with the plan to do some more if time and weather permitted.   So we did just that.  No time to take any video,  a hectic morning of some fun that we will never duplicate...... Every day has a challenge and getting home save can be like a reward when you think of a day on the water......

-    3.5 min.  Ken grabs the go pro as a troll salmon is hooked, the action is forgotten as the cam is set in a chair running.  We got the fish and its smelled great.  The lure is shown here as a Pearl whole herring plug and custom painted by myself with the contrast colors on the back.   It worked once and maybe it will find another king salmon to bite it and run?   Some footage is shared for you all.    A welcomer on the deck .      Ken already had dibs on the belly for his smoker.   We had a older native friend that would always take the head if delivered to his porch in a cooler on ice.    We knew this would be a prize for us all.

3 min.   A fun clip of king salmon trolling in the winter on a sunny calm day ..    While trolling along the shoreline Ken hooks a hot fish and I get excited more than usual kinda bossing him around more than usual.  The fish was in the net,  when we felt elated..   Talk about a fun take on the video......
   If I could only control myself.......  Butt I just get excited it seemes........