Senator that never was

Started by Maxed Out, April 17, 2024, 08:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Penn never made a 99 Jigmaster, but it is a legendary albacore killing reel, and still popular today

Penn also never made a mid width small senator that falls in between a 2/0 and 3/0, even though the parts were right there in front of them. Just take a 3/0 or 2/0 and add 99 seat, 66 posts, and 65 or seaboy 190 spool, and you've got a mid size small senator !!

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

pjstevko

What application would be best for this mini-tank?

Ron Jones

I am usually narrow minded, but pulling up enough big fish from 600 feet with Ted has made me appreciate wide reels because it keeps the line in the "fast" (don't laugh) part of the spool longer.

Me, Wayne, Steve, and Ted went out with our buddy Tod to a spot a ways deeper than normal for Black Rock Fish (Ted will remember the name.) I've been happy with Ca ling cod smaller than the BRFs we were catching that day. We were in maybe 120 feet or so, and the torque of this reel with a 5 stack would be nice to get you out of a rock or if you happen to hook into a no joke ling in the spot.

The other place I see this reel working is in the surf off a jetty. You can get away with heavier line, and again this things torque helps get you out of trouble. If you can find a set of Newell Teflon bushings, this thing would cast more than far enough at any tide. I'd love it for La Push or Westport; or my childhood Home beach of Oceanside, Ca. Fishing it in the mouth with a bucket full of live chovies and a Corona would be a blast, there are BIG white sea bass in that water.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Crab Pot

You guys never cease to amaze me!

I have a parts 3/0 that will get a new lease on life!

Steve 
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Brewcrafter

Gfish

Would the red 112H 3/0 with the 4:1 gears work? Would those spools you mentioned not fit? The 111 2/0 only comes in Senator old school black side plates with the 2.25:1 gears.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Ron Jones

This is, effectively, a slow 112H. The 112H spool would not work in this reel I don't think. The shaft is different for the 500 pinion.

The 500 main has more surface area, but I don't think enough to make up for the lower gear ratios torque. I LOVE the 112H, this reel is just a bit more unique and better as a live bait reel.
Come to think of it, it wouldn't be horrible for bigger albacore with live bait. No need to cast, so the heavy spool is fine, reel is probably close in speed to a 99 because of the diameter, and more torque so you don't "wind without the spool moving" (Ted hates that.) More capacity than you need, but that keeps the spool in the "fast" zone (again, don't laugh.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Surfrat

I see this is for a Penn 112 - 3/0 black plates not a Penn 112h red plates because the parts are very different between them.

Can you build a mid width 3/0 with the 65 reel seat, 66 posts, and the 65 spool? Why use the 99 reel seat? 🤔 I don't have a 65 or 99 to test or build this.

Maxed Out

The 65 or 66 reel seat won't work.only the 99 seat because 3screws on each side of the seat, instead of 2

CooldadE

Apologies for the ancient post... this is what I did.
https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,2984.msg19878.html#msg19878
Sweet little reels but not as low geared as the 2/0 and 3/0 Senators...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Crab Pot

Ted,

Ok, I'm taking the plunge but want to make sure I order the right parts.

Seat/Stand 30-99 Mistic does not have it...(Do I have the right part number?).

Posts 37-65 from a 66 Long Beach six total. Mistic has them $3.00 each.

Aluminum Spool 29L-190 from a Sea Boy 190 Mistic has them $26.95 each.

Thanks,

Steve

JasonGotaProblem

Steve I sent you a 30-99 a little while ago
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Crab Pot on April 20, 2024, 06:21:09 PMTed,

Ok, I'm taking the plunge but want to make sure I order the right parts.

Seat/Stand 30-99 Mistic does not have it...(Do I have the right part number?).

Posts 37-65 from a 66 Long Beach six total. Mistic has them $3.00 each.

Aluminum Spool 29L-190 from a Sea Boy 190 Mistic has them $26.95 each.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve, yes the parts you listed are correct

Crab Pot

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on April 20, 2024, 11:10:04 PMSteve I sent you a 30-99 a little while ago

How do you remember stuff like that Jason!

(now I need to find it)

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 20, 2024, 11:27:42 PMHi Steve, yes the parts you listed are correct

Thanks Ted!

I'll post up picks as I go.

Steve

MarkT

While it can be done, it's still just a big Jigmaster... and bigger isn't necessarily better!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!