Senator that never was

Started by Maxed Out, April 17, 2024, 08:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350, ReelFishingProblems, akfish and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Maxed Out

Quote from: MarkT on April 21, 2024, 01:21:32 AMWhile it can be done, it's still just a big Jigmaster... and bigger isn't necessarily better!

Good point Mark, but the spool is only 1/8" larger diameter than jigmaster. The 66 main gear can also take a 5 stack, the seat has 3 screws on each side instead of 2, and 6 frame posts instead of 4. The lower gear ratio(2.5/1)gives it more torque than a 4/1 jigmaster. Like granny gear on a 5 speed manual tranny. Only similarity to a jigmaster 99 is the width
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

MarkT

While 2.5:1 may be fine when you're bent over on a big fish, it's not so good when bringing up your rig to change the bait or make a move. There's a lot they did 60+ years ago that hasn't stood up to the changing times.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Crab Pot

Quote from: MarkT on April 21, 2024, 01:21:32 AMWhile it can be done, it's still just a big Jigmaster... and bigger isn't necessarily better!

If I didn't have a 3/0 parts reel I wouldn't be doing this.

But I do so I am.

Should make a great shallow reel.

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

JasonGotaProblem

Just because it's unnecessary doesn't mean it's a bad idea. Story of my life.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Ron Jones

Quote from: MarkT on April 21, 2024, 03:17:43 AMWhile 2.5:1 may be fine when you're bent over on a big fish, it's not so good when bringing up your rig to change the bait or make a move. There's a lot they did 60+ years ago that hasn't stood up to the changing times.
You and I have had this conversation. Times haven't changed, marketing executives have found out new ways to convince you to spend money :)
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

ReelFishingProblems

Ted, I think this is gonna be one of my next projects. I love the looks of this. The proportions just fit aesthetically.

Gfish

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the old conventional's (Penn and Ocean City) geared at around 2.5:1, are in better operating condition than the higher geared reels.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Crab Pot

Got all my parts today to build my 2.5 Senator (as I'm calling it) but the inner rings were wrong.

Good news though....Jason, I found the 30-99 stand you sent me!

(Minor miracle, if you'd seen my garage you'd be impressed)

To be continued!

Steve

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Crab Pot on Today at 12:18:11 AMGot all my parts today to build my 2.5 Senator (as I'm calling it) but the inner rings were wrong.

Good news though....Jason, I found the 30-99 stand you sent me!

(Minor miracle, if you'd seen my garage you'd be impressed)

To be continued!

Steve
I'm glad. That was my only one. I figured you were the type to be able to put this one together and it wouldn't go to waste. I'm glad I guessed correctly, I was just off by a few months.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Crab Pot

Takes me that long to get inspired!