When a Fisherman Retires His Gear for Good

Started by foakes, April 18, 2024, 04:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Needed to go down to Fresno yesterday to pick up some hard rod tubes for shipping rods, since our local ACE did not have any.

Long time friend and client called me last week to let me know he wanted to offer me all of his fishing gear.

So I bought it all, at a really reasonable bargain price for the lot.

A lot of it is new & unused —- or at the least excellent condition and well cared for.

There are some really rare rods and reels in this lot.

Fenwicks, Garcia, customs, couple of pack rods including a Garcia Conolon telescopic spinning rod at 6.5'.  And some quality reels.

If there is any interest, let me know.

Or if someone wants the whole lot really cheap.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

I have the Daiwa SS no.1, very nice little spinner. Wonder if the "SS" stands Silver series, or "Super Sport" like it says up closer to the handle flange?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

I've no need for that much FW tackle, but those old school lures a prolly worth $50 themselves. Considering the all the rods and everything else, much more worth than $275. Never seen a silver Bommer Waterdog before.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Lot sold in less than (5) minutes after posting to a good member.

Just did some quick and dirty math as to what the stuff might have brought on the Auction site.  $1,400, maybe?

So if it only brought $1000, sold individually —- after fees, and with $85 in shipping —- it was a bargain for him.

4 other folks responded later.  Sorry I only had this lot.

There are many more lots that can be put together when time permits.  LOTS...

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

wailua boy

Would you estimate the value of a shimano 500c at $125? Still someone received a great deal.

foakes

Quote from: wailua boy on April 20, 2024, 12:44:52 AMWould you estimate the value of a shimano 500c at $125? Still someone received a great deal.

One just has to look at the value of an entire lot.  This is just an estimate based on what I have sold them for before in good used condition.  This one was as near new as one could get.

They are desirable and will become more so —- and decent ones are not plentiful. 

Fortunately I still have 3 of them, plus gold & silver Mini-Mites, 700C's 1000C's, and others.

Great reels.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

quang tran

Quote from: wailua boy on April 20, 2024, 12:44:52 AMWould you estimate the value of a shimano 500c at $125? Still someone received a great deal.
I bought a combo 500C and ultra light daiwa rod for 17.00 in 1980

quang tran

wailua boy

Nice. I was just looking at your itemized list. I have  a few and have picked  them up for about $30. They are a pretty quality reel.

foakes

Quote from: quang tran on April 20, 2024, 12:58:24 AMDo you sell Daiwa UL7 $20 ?

I just got rid of the entire lot for $275.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

Quote from: quang tran on April 20, 2024, 12:58:24 AMDo you sell Daiwa UL7 $20 ?

I just figured it quickly at $20.  The average one on eBay goes for $50 - $60.  This one was excellent.

Sometimes, I don't know how or where some sellers thinking is on eBay?  Here is an example currently on sale...

I know it is an ultralite with bearings.  But to my thought, even $50 - $60 is high.  Saw one the other day on eBay for over $1500, from Japan.  I must be missing something.  Or just not that smart.

Anyway, I am just getting rid of stuff.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Fred, you're not missing anything, it's just a hope-and-pray scenario on those kind of deals. The only true way to find their worth is to find real auctions that start at $.99 with no reserve and compare what they end up selling for.

With all the quality older reels out there to choose from I don't understand why they bring as much as they do. I guess they have kind of a following. I know I've never been reel  ;D  impressed with them.  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

The U17 on eBay was used! Yeah, hope and pray...