Surfmaster 100 upgraded

Started by fishmeluck, April 23, 2024, 09:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishmeluck

Just upgraded my Penn 100 Surfmaster from Newell bars, base, and clamp to a Tiburon frame, base, and Penn aluminum clamp, thanks to Steve (vilters). It had the SS gear sleeve and 5-stack drag upgrade before this upgrade. Never thought I'd find a gold frame to match the power handle but Steve noticed that I was looking for one and came through. When I bought it years ago on Ebay, it came with a Newell spool and an extra Newell spool as well.
Give a man a fish and he will have fish for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Ron Jones

Looks lovely. As a Newell Nut, I'm not certain it is an "upgrade," but I hope you enjoy fishing the wizz out of it!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

JasonGotaProblem

Very nice. One I built in a similar configuration with the steel main and sleeve and a 5 stack dragged in a black tip in under a minute.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Swami805

That's a nice looking reel.
I'm a big fan of that size Penn reel for pier fishing  Newell kit and a bigger handle.  100,27,160,180 and a couple others I narrowed
Do what you can with that you have where you are

sabaman1

Nice job, it looks great! I too like to narrow the smaller Penns though I realize the Penn 100 came narrowed out of the box. Makes a great 1/2 or 3/4 day Sport fishing trip reel. Put some braid and a short top shot of mono and your golden! :fish 
JIM

fishmeluck

Quote from: Ron Jones on April 23, 2024, 10:34:32 PMLooks lovely. As a Newell Nut, I'm not certain it is an "upgrade," but I hope you enjoy fishing the wizz out of it!
The Man

Thanks! Ha ha! My upgrade comment is certainly debatable. The Newell conversion was lighter, but the upside for me is that it is now prettier, stronger, I find the base and clamp to be easier to work with when putting the reel on a rod and it stays tight more reliably.
Give a man a fish and he will have fish for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

fishmeluck

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on April 23, 2024, 10:53:34 PMVery nice. One I built in a similar configuration with the steel main and sleeve and a 5 stack dragged in a black tip in under a minute.
Ooh, I forgot to mention, mine has the steel main gear as well. I can't wait to try it out on a sizable yellowtail or tuna up to 30 lb. The 3:1 gear ratio is lower than the low speed on my Okuma Metaloid 5ii (3.8:1) and almost as low as a Penn Fathom II FTH25ii (2.8:1).

vilters

enjoy it Paul.sure looks better on your 100 than it did on my 146. almost gives me a case of seller's remorse. my 100 w/ newell kit and steel sleeve/gear and 5 stack drag kit is one of my favorite reels. going to upgrade my 150 next.

Ron Jones

I've caught several yellowtail on a monofil with that spool, it is a lot of fun!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

fishmeluck

Quote from: sabaman1 on April 24, 2024, 06:05:16 AMNice job, it looks great! I too like to narrow the smaller Penns though I realize the Penn 100 came narrowed out of the box. Makes a great 1/2 or 3/4 day Sport fishing trip reel. Put some braid and a short top shot of mono and your golden! :fish 
Your suggestion is my plan, a minimalist one rod setup for 1/2 day or 3/4 day trips: a 15-30 lb rod, the Penn 100, two spools, both spools backed about 1/2 full with some previously used and saved 50# braid, one topped with 25# mono, the other topped with 30# braid.

sabaman1

Quote from: fishmeluck on April 25, 2024, 06:28:14 PM
Quote from: sabaman1 on April 24, 2024, 06:05:16 AMNice job, it looks great! I too like to narrow the smaller Penns though I realize the Penn 100 came narrowed out of the box. Makes a great 1/2 or 3/4 day Sport fishing trip reel. Put some braid and a short top shot of mono and your golden! :fish 
Your suggestion is my plan, a minimalist one rod setup for 1/2 day or 3/4 day trips: a 15-30 lb rod, the Penn 100, two spools, both spools backed about 1/2 full with some previously used and saved 50# braid, one topped with 25# mono, the other topped with 30# braid.
Head up to channel islands and test it out on some white seabass, halibut as well as the yellows. Seems they're getting some to chew now. Tight lines to you my friend!
JIM