Penn 980 - Assembly Question. Eezee

Started by hotajax, April 25, 2024, 06:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotajax

On the non-handle side, the bearing cup has a bronze washer / flange with a lip on it.  Which way does the lip face?  Inward toward the reel or outward.  The there's a spring-loaded post that pokes through that flange, and the end of the spool fits on that.  I'm thinking the lip faces inward so the bearing can sit in it.  Thanks.

jurelometer

Sal to the rescue (again!)

Check around the 7-9th photos.

https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,10273

Same part/assembly for the 970 and 980.

Sal was (is) our resident Mag Power guru.  His threads on these reels are worth a read.

-J

hotajax

Thanks for posting.  Not 100 per cent certain, but I think that the lip on the bronze flange (right in the middle of photo 9 ) will face inward toward the bearing.  Any takers on that?

Brewcrafter

If you are talking about the knurled piece (bearing retainer) it should face in.  When properly installed looking at the completed bearing cup assembly it will be flat/flush across the top of the bearing cup, and that lip is what allows you to carefully get in there with your tool of choice to lever it out to access/remove the bearing for maintenance. - john

jurelometer

Quote from: Brewcrafter on April 25, 2024, 09:44:51 PMIf you are talking about the knurled piece (bearing retainer) it should face in.  When properly installed looking at the completed bearing cup assembly it will be flat/flush across the top of the bearing cup, and that lip is what allows you to carefully get in there with your tool of choice to lever it out to access/remove the bearing for maintenance. - john

I think he is asking about the cup (40A-970), not the "plug" (40B-970)

Also I don't think the lip is there for maintenance, it is needed to keep the inside race from rubbing while still keeping the hole small to help protect the bearing.  But otherwise, I agree with John.

If the assembly holds the outer race, it cannot contact the inner race. This goes for the cup and the plug.  The races have to turn independently without rubbing, so no part or fixed assembly should come in contact with both races.

If the bearing fits inside the cup, then this is how it has to be assembled, so that the bearing is held in alignment with the spool shaft. It can't be allowed to flop around.  In this case, the center hole will be large enough to clear the inner race.

If the hole is too small to clear the inner race on either the cup or the cap, then the lip should be just the right size to push against the outer race, and keep the inner race from touching the rest of the cup (or cap).

This lines up with Sal's photos too.  And Sal was pretty good about getting this sort of stuff right.

My memory is not good enough to remember all the part orientations -even if I just took the reel apart  :).  I find it easier to use logic.

-J

hotajax

One more question.  When the reel is assembled PROPERLY, do you feel spring pressure against the spool on the left side, if you push the spool to the left? I assembled the bearing cup with the bronze flange facing inward.  The knurled flange faces the bearing and sandwiches the bearing between the two flanges, without anything touching the inner race except for the spool shaft.  Is this done correctly?

Should there be any free play between the spool shaft end and that little post in the left side bearing retainer?  Just a few thousands? 

BTW, a dental pick works well to pull off the bearing retainer covers.  You just have to work the pick around the circumference of the cover several times, and it will eventually pop. 

Thanks for the help thus far.

hotajax

Quote from: Brewcrafter on April 25, 2024, 09:44:51 PMIf you are talking about the knurled piece (bearing retainer) it should face in.  When properly installed looking at the completed bearing cup assembly it will be flat/flush across the top of the bearing cup, and that lip is what allows you to carefully get in there with your tool of choice to lever it out to access/remove the bearing for maintenance. - john
Thanks for posting.  I was talking about the bronze part on the other side of the bearing, the center part of the bearing assembly.  I think that the two parts hold the outer race allowing the center race to move without touching any other part of the bearing cup, except for the end of the spool shaft as it passes through the bearing.  I'm no expert, so if I'm wrong, shout it out.  Thanks