1938 Hardy Altex no.1 mk.IV manual bail restoration

Started by Woodbilly, May 15, 2024, 10:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodbilly

Hey all!

Back with newest project!

1938 Hardy Altex no.1 mk.IV with manual bail / Jack Johnson assembled.
Came with spare spool, box, and bag.  Box is not Hardy. Still very nice box, though.

Had to give $120 usd for it. It has had an old repair of reel foot stem. It appears very solid, true, and well done. I rough housed it a bit and no give whatsoever.
I figured it was worth it even with repair. Yes?

It has newer single piece handle lock nut vs. older 2 piece style nut set up. Still good finish and fairly clean. Bail is still very snappy and crisp. It was missing the flier worm gear oil port cover. I had another from a spare reel, so that's taken care of. It was also missing fiber drag washer, but one can be easily had at hardware store, so non issue.
Both spools have been smoothed, so all script is gone. Boo!!
Not a huge deal, because spares are hard to come by. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, I suppose.

I'm going to strip it down and clean all parts. No finish removal. This one will have her battle scars, but I will be polishing all brightwork, though.

BTW: Do any members recognize this reel? It came from USA.
Also, any info on box and canvas cloth bag, would be appreciated.
Did these come with svelt bad, drawstring bag or open bag, like mine?

Also notice, it has no "grease" script on body, where flier worm gear oil port is. So, that answers my question. This was only on the earlier reel bodies. I have a no.2 mechanical bail parts reel and my recently restored no.1 with mechanical bail. Both have this script.
They also both have makers mark on flier, as well as check carrier . My newer Altex, only on check carrier.
Just my observations.

Anyways, I'll post up more pictures as it progresses.

Woodbilly

Back with updates!!

Got this one stripped down without issue.

Spring bail arm much different than mechanical bail arm, which I expected. No biggie. I included pictures of proper way for spring removal. Longer leg of spring rests on threaded post stud and when popped off of stud, it releases the spring tension, so it can be removed fully from slotted stud.
Spring tension arm is held onto flier with tiny wire bent over. Included picture of it, as well. This can be bent straight and pulled out to remove arm.
Flier dust cover has no ring gear and 3 screws vs. 2 on a mechanical bail and non rotating shaft and pivot arm are different than older Edward Broadfoot model. Also handle nut is 1 piece.

I had this one stripped in an hour and half, this time. Much easier 2nd go round. I punched that check carrier rivet pin first smack! My collet removal tool worked like a charm, too!

Also learned, to keep all screws separated while cleaning for easier reassembly. I mistakenly cleaned all together in a Tupperware and sorting who went where was a bear.
Not this time.
I included a macro picture of the screws I'm dealing with. Lol

Well, on to cleaning and polishing!!