Penn inter 30 visx

Started by PRSD, May 04, 2024, 06:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRSD

Howdy to everyone,
I just picked up a 30 visx reel new and have a couple of questions.
When  I spin in in high gear it has a lot of resistance compared to low, when I mean a lot it is heavy. My 50 vw is easy to turn, I know the 50 is single speed, but the difference is surprising.
So are 2 speeds normally this heavy in high gear.
I intend to use it for LBG, beach,rock and jetty's.
Braid and nylon topshot so any ideas much appreciated.
Thanks in advance 

gary760

A two speed reel always has more resistance when in high gear - because you are doing more work for each turn of the handle in high gear,  usualy two to 3 times that of low gear, for each handle revolution. And this is noticable even with an empty spool. However a really stiff handle in high gear ( and to a lesser extent in low gear)  may indicate too high a drag setting causing side loading , But I would not expect the handle resistance in high gear on a two speed 30 in high gear to be much higher than a single speed 50 unless there is an issue with the 30.
Handle length and gear ratios of the respective reels will also play a part in this between the two reels to some degree.

akfish

The anti-reverse dogs are quiet and work well -- but their design means they will result in some resistence when turning the handle. This is most noticeable in high gear. (The anti-reverse dog is essentially a large Ambassadeur-like dog.) That resistance will moderate with use. I don't like it either but I just bought a 16VISX because I've been so impressed with my 20VISX.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

PRSD

Thanks akFish and gary760,
This is my first 2 speed so surprised how much resistance between Hi-Lo.
Had a brain fart too, it is a visw not visx.
Helps when I sit down when I have time to look at things and think things out and not on the fly.
After looking at the threads on Alan's forums I believe it would not hurt to do a bit of a service before I use it.
Anything that you can suggest to keep a eye out for would be a help as well.
I want to set it for shore based fishing, my plan is to run 80lb braid with 100-200m of 37kg mono.
Is this a good idea or would there be safer/better options, I'm all ears as a beginner at the LBG scene.
All my prior experience up till now has been boats, that life is rare now.
Anyway thanks for the info, eased my mind a lot  ;D
PRSD