Some fun we had in Alaska part 12.....

Started by gstours, May 23, 2024, 01:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here is another ten clips to add to the presentation of some Alasan adventures we shared.  I hope some of you will enjoy a couple.   Thanks for being a friend here... :fish

-  7.5 min of fun.    Ken takes a ride up bay with me in the Maiko .   We got a nice weather morning and trolled the shoreline of a bay using divers, salmon plugs and mooching rods n reels.   I got a rod dancing with a hot king salmon ripping line.. Ken got his rod / line out of the water and retrieved the head cam for you to get the action.  With Ken using the kicker motor to move the stern we eventually kept the fish in back of the boat.   This Green Chrome plug playes second favorite to the Blue Chrome and the Sardine pattern.   We always use herring and or shrimp oil scents in, on the plug and refreshed as much as possible.   

11.3 min.   Some raw footage of the above clip.  Everybody tells their story a little different.   The cam is set on a chair running and it gets some of what it sees.  After the fish was in the boat we wanted other pictures and a dedicated cam person was not on board.   It is what it is....  Glad to share some of our adventures.   

6.3 min.   I hurry to get my rod out of the water and stowed, grab the cam and get the kicker motor disconnected from the helm steering.
  Kens winter king salmon is hot and mad.  We teamed up to keep up and turned several times to try a tight line,  butt not too tite.    This is pretty much raw footage of the event.
  The boat is comfortable, yet cluttered and we were doing what we do.   The result is the footage of fun.  Something like this makes a shorter ride back home,   I,d sure like to do something like this again.....   Saltwater, green trees, blue sky, and another chance to live........

16 sec.   As I had planned on trolling for salmon one winter weekend my friend Ken asked if a friend could come along.  Sometimes the more the merrier.   Lynn was invited along and was a lucky lady.  Many days its just a boat ride.  Butt a fish struck her lure and she became a fisherman in about five seconds.   We had a lot of fun coaching her what to do.  I was hoping it would stay on to the net.   Here they are in a smile.   Its always fun to go fishing,  cause you never know......

https://youtu.be/cU4Io8BrNaM?si=BaF7GiKmvMDRG_7T   3.4 min..   Some scenery of trolling for king salmon a while back.  Ken is watching the gear and I,m trying to keep in close to the kelp that drops off to the deeper water.  It seems like the salmon may hide in the kelp at times and ambush the baitfish that seek shelter and camaflogue themselves and pick at food around the kelp?  The plug here is a blue chrome, version of the King Kandy made in Washington.   We use longer leaders and a treble hook as the stinger....  The white box next to the stern bulkhead is an snow/ice box for a fish.  We usually have some snow piled somewhere ,  so it takes minimal room aboard.  We can troll for days with not much melting as the temps are low.  When you make Red Ice in the box it's a good thing....   Lets make some Red Ice on the way back home....

7.5 min.  We are pot fishing in early spring for sidestripe and spot shrimps.  In a small bay out of the often heavy tidal currents you can see snow on the foothills welcoming the warming weather and currents that make Alaska bloom.  Fishing about 150 ft deep we have brought bait to add to the post and take what we can to refish them for about a week again.  Usually a smaller , lighter pot is trailed a hundred  feet behind the heavier large pot with a bouy at the topside,
  At about min 6 Ken was given a treat he did not expect.  Hot fresh garlic sirachi snack that he worked for.   
  With a friend like Ken and a boat like the Maiko how could you not like fun in solitude.

6.5 min.  We are on the Maiko fishing for halibuts after the summer and are hoping for just one more good one.   It's a slow day but we stick it out and think the tide change might improve the ocean dynamics to our favor.
   Ken gets a good fish on his line and we get ready to welcome it aboard as the day is getting late and this is what we were waiting for....  We get the fish harpooned and the green no twist gaff is the preferred tool here... we untwist the gear with a good feeling.
  Ken got a dandy halibut and we are done for the year.....    Gst.

2.3 min.  A short clip of fishing halibuts on Kens boat a while back.  We got a fish and then remembered to film a little.  Ken was always kind and offered to help when he could hardly walk with his knee and leg repair impediments,  butt he had determination almost eternal.
  I get tangles in the rope as the fish twisted the line as they are good at,  and then the lucky jig is shown.  We always had fun trying different jigs and baits using luck more than science.  Lets go fishing again......

-   6 min.   Ken and I are anchored in mid summer in a nice suuny day setting.  Sometimes a humpy (pink salmon) would jump alongside or behind the boat.  So this could be fun if fishing is slow.  A spoon on a spinning rod cast out back and then allowed to wiggle will keep the sea gulls curious.....
 Well a humpy grabs the spoon, I grab the cam, Ken hooks another halibut and the fun starts.   We get the small salmon, ken releases his halibut and another halibut is hooked on my pole is a better fish and we decide to keep it.  Its my first of the day, and we decide we need to go.....   Ken always sneered at the electric reel idea.  Butt we had fun always.

7 min.  With grey cloud cover we slip out to a spot where we had found a few good halibut in the past.  It seems like a lucky stroke to have cool temperatures and calm winds.   An ebbing tide is what is going on this morning as we are fishing large baits on the cobbled smooth sea floor.  Ken gets a fish to swallow his bait and the fun has started.  I,m filming with the head cam and get a good harpoon shot.  The rope threader works pretty slick and secures the fish easily,
  We have a fish with lock jaw and then get a better look at our catch.  Bleeding the fish right away seems like it makes the best quality meat when fileting and preserving.
   Its some of the memories we had on the old metal boat.......

jurelometer

Good stuff Gary!

While dropping an octopus jig a couple days ago, I was thinking about you and your adventures.  Time sure goes by fast...

-J

gstours

Thanks for you kindness and technical help.  I,m hoping to share more as time permits.   gst. :cf

Donnyboat

Thanks Gary, always enjoy you movies, great memories ay, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat