Parts needed for a 302

Started by keidsmoe, May 30, 2024, 03:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keidsmoe

Hi all,

Picked up a swap meet 302 needing a few parts. Fred Oakes would be the go to guy but he's on a East coast travel trip. Anyone else have some available parts to use? Looking for the tiny key (PN 81404) the Bail bumper ( 81397) and Bail wire (81390)

My bail wire doesn't open enough to let the line out...think it is bent wrong. Can these be tweaked easily or should it be replaced?

quang tran

You need 3 parts for the reel ,It's will be close to price of another reel .I have a 302 that have not use in last 30 years ( or more )

Gfish

IMO, a design flaw in the tuff, heavy 302, is the bail wire and the attachment section for the line roller. Too flimsy. I had to get a new bail from Fred for mine. If the reel gets dropped for example, there's good chance the bail will get tweaked.
The original 302's had a 1/2 bail, which mighta been better, but I never see them for sale.
Try bending it back very carefully, being delicate with any welded areas.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Brewcrafter

I literally just finished a 302; same issue - had been banged around offshore and bail was pretty tweaked.  Fred rescued me on that one; and also made me aware that there are a couple of different versions (I didn't know that, sent him a photo so that he could send the right one.)  While I was at it I converted the 5 metal drag stack to a combination of metal and CF, much smoother.  That reel will now handle about anything it is likely to encounter on trips out of Long Beach or Dana Point... - john

jtwill98

For bail bumpers, I've given up on the rubber ones and instead use leather.  I use the leather hole from from the hole punch of a leather belt and epoxy it in place. 

You're bail looks correct according to the reel schematic (unless someone replace it with a Mitchell 303 bail), probably needs a small amount of tweaking.

Gfish

Very difficult to find, but there was a PUM(pick-up manual) for this reel which eliminates the wire bail completely. Check on eBay.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

sabaman1

Try winding your reel till your spool is at the very top of its movement upwards then stop at that point and see if you have clearance to open your bail fully, this will let you know if you have the proper bail wire for the reel? If you have clearance at this point then you can palm the wire with one hand at the area of the line roller connection very firmly and start to bend the wire outward to try to clear the bail wire to just beyond to where it clears the outer part of the rotor when looking downward at the spool. The bend in these wires is quite pronounced. Be very careful when bending to not apply so much pressure as to snap the wire where it connects to the line roller. Also make sure your line roller tightening screw is snugged up. You can try holding the area above the line roller tightly with pliers if necessary. Hope this helps!
JIM

foakes

Quote from: keidsmoe on May 30, 2024, 03:05:19 PMHi all,

Picked up a swap meet 302 needing a few parts. Fred Oakes would be the go to guy but he's on a East coast travel trip. Anyone else have some available parts to use? Looking for the tiny key (PN 81404) the Bail bumper ( 81397) and Bail wire (81390)

My bail wire doesn't open enough to let the line out...think it is bent wrong. Can these be tweaked easily or should it be replaced?

Hi Ken —-

I have everything you need, plus a new bail spring.

$10 + shipping —-

But won't return until about 6/17.

So if you don't find what you need —- just shoot me an email around the 17th.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

When someone says it can't be done...

Do it twice, and take photos.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sabaman1

Fred, I also have a 302 that is missing its bail wire, line roller and line roller retaining nut including the little plate behind the nut if you have this available?
JIM

foakes

No problem, Jim —

In Eastern New York now —- Batavia —- heading to Back-Bay Boston today for a 4-Day conference.  Then R.I., DC, Colonial Williamsburg, Berlin Ohio, and meander back home after the 17th.

Shoot me some photos of the reel after the 17th —- as there are variations in some of the 302's.

Glad to help if possible.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

keidsmoe

Thank you Fred - I'll take you up on the offer. I have some other Mitchells I can work on in the meantime. I'll PM you when you get back!

Thanks,  Ken

keidsmoe

Hi Fred,

PM sent to you on 6/20.

Thanks,

Ken

foakes

Yep, Ken —-

Been plenty to do since returning.

Sent out 14 parcels yesterday to members.

Got another 10 to send out today and tomorrow.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.