Feeling Stupid

Started by Bill B, May 30, 2024, 07:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurelometer

I'm not really not seeing much obvious benefit so far, TBH.

If it goes over the swivel and snap, than you are not going to get as much swivelling.

As for keeping the snap closed:  I was just playing with mine, and it doesn't hold a McMahon  shut, as MacMahons open by compression, and the rubber thingy is applying compressive force.  Also, like split rings, these type of snaps usually fail because of some sort of twisting load, creating a gap for the lure to get levered out.  A bit of rubber ain't going to help here.

As noted before on the weed thing: If the weed gets past the snap, you are only better off if the same weed does not end up hanging on your lure.  It is sliding down the same line. Maybe...

I am going to file this under "common practice- but no strong evidence of benefit or detriment", so following the herd is a reasonable strategy.

And it does make the rig look more premium :)

-J

Keta

I have never trusted snaps and use heavy split rings to attach  my wire and chafing leaders to my lures.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

jurelometer

Quote from: Keta on May 31, 2024, 08:30:23 PMI have never trusted snaps and use heavy split rings to attach  my wire and chafing leaders to my lures.

I think that a McMahon is a different case.  I trust it more than a round split ring.  It is sort of a stronger version of a split ring. 

Keta

I had one  break at the swivel end.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

jurelometer

Oooh...

That is where all the stess is from openinig and closing.  Also where it gets pulled on. 

Keta

Yup. I was trolling with handlines off of the Oregon State University research vessel Wecoma 800 or so miles west of Cape Mendocino when something big hit.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RV_Wecoma

https://literacynet.org/ocean/report3_askaplant/3_team.html

Mark Twain

oc1

UKChris1

I use those little rubber thingys as well as buffer beads on my trolling rigs to cover the knot tying the double line to the swivel eye. Apart from helping keep weed at bay and protecting the knot, the main benefit is to stop some clot winding the swivel tight into the top guide.