Penn Stainless Steel Anti Reverse Dogs

Started by Keta, April 02, 2012, 09:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

113H, 114H and 115 dogs are available, PM me what you need and where to send them and I'll get them in the mail as soon as I can. 

I have a 114H in the mail to use to "size" a the second dog, one for synchronized engagement one for alternate engagement.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

So the alternate engage would limit the amount of handle back play by 1/2?
luck is the residue of design.

Keta

Yes, somewhere around 50%.  A 115 dog can be fit with a file or belt sander.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

The only way you get a backup dog in that reel is with the alternating dogs. Engaging at the same time or alternating dogs, they both have advantages and disadvantages.
As we all know, dogs keep the gear sleeve stationary while the gear spinns under pressure, especially when the fish is taking line.  I believe that having the (2) dogs engaging at the same time will help keep that sleeve and gear square to the bridge plate. Some here don't believe so, but I do.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

The closer to 180° apart the dogs engage the less side force is put on the gear sleeve shaft.  For the strongest application synchronized engagement is best.

Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Keta on October 21, 2012, 11:29:40 PM
The closer to 180° apart the dogs engage the less side force is put on the gear sleeve shaft.  For the strongest application synchronized engagement is best.

Very good point.

saltydog

I agree that both engaging at the same time help increase strength but on some reels that have alot of handle slop the alternating dogs work the best.Just got done doing a friends reel and it reduced slop by 50%.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Alto Mare

That's why I mentioned advantages and disadvantages. On my 113H tank I like the dogs to engage at the same time and they do. On the 114h and larger, i'm OK with having a dog as backup.
By the way, I really like the job you did on that plate, i also like the way you bend the flat spring.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Joel.B

I just installed two stainless dogs (Thanks Keta) on a 113h last night. I stoned the tip of one slightly to get them to engage at same time- but also wish I had less play in handle.  WHat if someone made a sleeve with an extra tooth or two?  Shorter distance between teeth would give me less reverse-play , no?

I also stoned and polish all the edges and surfaces- they are a little quieter and smoother now.

Ron Jones

We have come back to this several times, I know their are extra teeth available for the spinners, we need to figure out how to do it on a sleeve.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

The change has to be made for an entire run of parts, it's a good idea.

Mark Twain

saltydog

And following Sal's point My reels of the 113 size and smaller have double dogs that engage together and the 114 and above I always alternate the dogs.I would like to see a few extra teeth on the gear sleeve especially on the 114 size and up because it would clean up alot of the slop some reels inherantly have.
MacArthur

Keta

When Alan's family issues are resolved we can discuss making the changes, I think we have in the past.  There is a minimum number for a run, I think 200 pieces, so it's not something we can "test" with small batches unless we can come up with a machinist with the right tools, that will "work for beer"  and can/will make a few R&D parts.....my friend needs an indexing head for his mill to do them.  The next run can most likely be modified.

Mark Twain

saltydog

I wouldn't be beyond taking a sleeve with no teeth and file fitting the teeth into it,it would take some time but if it works it could be a base model.And I have nothing but time,now to get ahold of a 112-113-114 sleeve without teeth.
MacArthur

Keta

A good modification might be to mill flats or a square section on the sleeve and use a removable anti reverse gear, removable anti-reverse gears can be water cut.    The larger Senator reels might be a good place to start and I have some for referance thanks to Sal.

I'll grab a 6 pack and run over to my friends shop and see if he can do this after I get the place ready for what looks like a long cold winter and I get a project I set aside for the summer finished.

Mark Twain